Can't boot in UEFI from USB - ES1-512-C685

Options
Triak
Triak Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello, 

Recently I bought Aspire E 15 Start (ES1-512-C685). It came with preinstalled Windows 8 or 8.1. It was loaded with lot of programs and was very slow.
I decided to reinstall it. I have installed Windows 8.1 with Legacy boot mode. But the touchpad was not working (it is not even detected in DeviceManager).I was searching for solutions and concluded that touchpad only works with UEFI boot mode.
Since there is not DVD-ROM, I decided to install Windows 8.1 in UEFI boot mode from USB. I used rufus to make the bootable usb, selected GPT partition scheme for UEFI, FAT32 and all other settings as many examples suggest. 
When I choose UEFI boot mode, my USB is not detected. I have tried all USB ports and still no result. 

Thanks,
 Triak

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

use MBR partition for UEFI instead of GPT, some BIOS have some troubles starting with an USB GPT partition.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Triak
    Triak Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

It does not work...

• IronFly
    Options

did you press F12 at boot?

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Why are you using rufus?  Are you trying to do a clean install of windows 8.1 from the microsoft website using their tool?  I've used their tool to make a USB and iso for DVD and never had to use rufus.  To make a USB drive using their tool, their tool does everything but cook your breakfast for you.  I suspect you'll have to find another
    Windows 8.1 computer to make the USB installer.

Right now, I'm using windows 10.  But just for curiosity sake, I tried to make another 8.1 USB installation media using microsofts tool from microsofts website.  It said I was using windows 10 and wouldn't allow me to download their windows 8.1 tool. No big deal since I already have one, but just FYI....you'll probably need to find a windows 8.1 computer to make an 8.1 USB installation media.....if that's what you're trying to do.  (i only tried to download the tool using their edge browser, so maybe if I would have tried a diff. browser it would have worked).

Also, there are other tools besides rufus if you have the iso and you want to give them a try.

• IronFly
    Options

Rufus is higly reliable and is not windows version related, so you can burn easily every .iso you want.

also it has many options to burn iso for UEFI or BIOS pc.

• JordanB
    Options

My comment isn't really about rufus.  It's about not needing rufus.

If you remember that when you use the Microsoft Windows 8.1 media tool, it gives you two options:

Option1: Create a USB drive to install Windows 8.1

Option2: Download iso files (which you can burn to DVD....... or burn to USB using something like rufus)

The point that I'm making is.....Option 1 is much easier.  It's automatic.  And it works.  Smiley Wink

• IronFly
    Options

it not always works, some user found the USB creation tool from Microsoft not working.

• JordanB
    Options

@Triak

If you made a UEFI/GPT USB with rufus, before you can boot to the USB, you'll need to load the BIOS defaults and then save and exit.  If your BIOS is in legacy mode, it won't be able to see the UEFI/GPT USB drive.

But honestly, I would load the BIOS defaults, make a different USB drive using option1 on a different computer and use diskpart clean and just start over.