Can't boot from USB stick - Acer Aspire E5-573-P5AB

Alin63992
Alin63992 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hi. I want to dual boot Linux Mint and Windows 10. I have Windows 10 installed and I made a bootable Linux USB stick using the Universal USB Installer program. When I try to start the PC from the stick, it doesn't show me the USB HDD option in the boot menu when it's on UEFI boot. When I switch to Legacy boot, I can boot from the USB stick, but I can't seem to install Linux alongside Windows because I don't see Windows Boot Manager in the Device for boot loader installation camp in the installation window. Can you help me install Linux Mint with Windows on UEFI? I followed the steps on a tutorial on how to install Linux with Windows 10 but I got stuck when I didn't see the USB HDD option in the boot menu.
PS: I have InsydeH20 Rev 5.0 BIOS.

Thank you.
Your help is VERY MUCH apperciated!

Answers

• Alin63992
    Alin63992 Member Posts: 2 New User
  • Megachip
    Megachip Member Posts: 33 Die Hard WiFi Icon

Did you try to create an uefi boot stick? Try rufus instead of universal usb installer.

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi

"When I switch to Legacy boot, I can boot from the USB stick, but I can't seem to install Linux alongside Windows because I don't see Windows Boot Manager in the Device for boot loader installation camp in the installation window."

Since W10 will be on secure boot and UEFI you should try and stay with UEFI and disable secure boot.  Unfortunately Acer and Insyde are not very helpful in showing BIOS screenshots so what particular options you have I don't know.

Try and use legacy boot screen to re-order the boot devices with USB at the top, and then revert to UEFI and hope.

Long shot, if there is an install of Linux Mint then maybe you could add it to the windows boot menu with easyBCD and this circumvents the failure to boot initially. 

NB: THIS METHOD IS FRAUGHT WITH DANGER.