Can I use old hard drive from Acer laptop, with system built as I like, in new Acer laptop?

Options
Kengar
Kengar Member Posts: 2 New User

I need to replace my Acer laptop.  (I was trying to fix the hinges, now the machine does not turn on at all in addition to having busted hinge anchor points...... I think I messed up the connector for the switch to the board, but it's excuse for new machine......)  Is there any reason I can't transfer the old hard drive, with system built as I like it, to the new machine, assuming I download and install all the drivers to run chipset/hardware components on the new machine?

FWIW, the original laptop was an E1-571 with Windows 8 pre-installed, which I deleted in favor of Windows 7.  Used an OEM disc for clean install of pure W7 and just downloaded the various drivers for the machine, and things workd great.  I also cloned the setup to an SSD, which is significantly smaller than the original HD that came with the machine, so there should be no issue re drive fitting into a new machine.  Do I need to worry about BIOS for a new machine expecting to see the version of Windows that comes installed on the new machine?  I wouldn't think so, since as noted I wiped W8 from my old machine in favor of W7, but one never knows where glitches can arise.  Any other considerations???

Thanks.

Answers

• benton582
    benton582 Member Posts: 213 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

Only problem really is if the connectors are correct, BIOS should detect WIN 7 easily. Motherboard must support the plug your old hard drive is in. 

• Kengar
    Kengar Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Not sure I follow.  The SSD (Samsung EVO 840) uses an mSATA connection.  Isn't that fairly standard?  New laptop I'm looking at (Aspire E5-574-58JM) is in the $450 range (on sale for $330), so nothing too special or out of the ordinary.

• benton582
    benton582 Member Posts: 213 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

You'll probably be fine, as long as hardware requirements meet Windows 7 standards.