Can I disable iGPU on Aspire E5-521G ?

Options
Remi_Andrei
Remi_Andrei Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello Acer community.

I have an Acer Aspire E5-521G-636X laptop and I contacted AMD a while ago to ask them why Windows 8.1 was not getting display driver support anymore and I told them that I can't use Windows 10 due to a BSOD that I would get, something along the lines of Page fault in nonpaged area. Regardless, that problem has been solved with the help of AMD's tech support but they suggested that I should contact the laptop manufacturer for instructions on how to disable my integrated R4 GPU if I want to have the Radeon R5 M2xx GPU always enabled with the latest driver support since the R4 iGPU no longer has support for the latest features.

Here is a quote from the mail:
"Also if you wish to have discrete Radeon R5 M2xx GPU always enabled on your computer with latest driver support, you have to disable your Integrated R4 APU graphics on your computer. Because your APU graphics doesn’t support the latest Crimson driver software.

Please note: - Not all laptops have the option for disabling the integrated GPU.  The low-power integrated graphics adapter must be disabled in the BIOS if the option is available.​

Contacting the laptop manufacturer for correct instructions on this procedure is strongly recommended. The laptop manufacturer provides exclusive support for the BIOS.

Thank you for contacting AMD."

Is it even possible to disable the iGPU? I've entered the laptop's bios before in order to install Windows and to see if it allows for CPU overclocking but nowhere did I find anything regarding the iGPU and whether or not I can disable it.

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

that option is missing on Acer BIOS, so you can't disable the iGPU.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Remi_Andrei
    Remi_Andrei Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

IronFly wrote:

I see. Thank you for your reply.