Brand new acer Aspire E 15 space bar sensitivity problem ?

akharrouby
akharrouby Member Posts: 3 New User

I bought a new acer E 15 laptop few days ago in its box, it is excellent except for the spacebar on the keyboard, if you press the lower aspect of which it will not space, you need to press it along the middle or upper aspect.

It is so annoying as you have to return back every few words to correct a space.

I did not tolerate the situation, checked the net and found many people complaining about this problem with no definitive solutions, I went to ensure services, which provide the warranty services in the middle east and it took them around a week to get a new keyoard from acer and replace.

But what was the result, the space bar is even more worse, I got upset, and did not believe that they replaced the keyboard, but they confirmed to me the change, by showing me the old keyboard.

The conclusion is it is a global keyboard design mistake, which has been adressed in many posts since 2014 or even before, and it is involving the whole aspire series, but acer is ignoring.

I do not usulally like to post, but I could not tolerate this situation, spacebar sensitivity issue, I am hundred percent sure that acer is aware of this mistake but did not correct the design.

why, these are the true things that affect.

I wished that the warranty keyboard replacement fixed the issue, but now I am stuck with this laptop which I was happy I bought until I discovered this stupid global design irreversible mistake.

thx acer

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

You shouldn't be stuck with it. Return it to where you bought it or ask Acer for warranty repair.

Tell them their repair didn't work.

n-Warranty Support

Acer offers both chat and phone support for in-warranty products, to help you return your product to factory working condition. To determine your warranty coverage, view your warranty document.

Chat:

Chat with an Acer support professional.

Phone:

Dial 866-695-2237.

• akharrouby
    Thanks for the reply.I believe you are acer representative.
    I went into a long discussion with the Acer representatives, which is ensure services here in the gulf region, and for this reason the representative brought the old keyboard and confirmed me it was replaced by the new one, which took around 1 week to be shipped.
    and asked to me to sign the papers, I signed and wrote a note problem persists.
    And they told me nothing could be done more changing the keyboard, so what do you think.
    Yo are saying just return it to the place you bought from, will sorry this is not allowed here, except for the first 3 days, and for the repair, I am telling the whole keyboard was changed, by an original one shipped by Acer.
    Again, it is a global design fault, just check few laptops fro the aspire e 15 series and you will realise my point.
    The best solution is, correct the keyboard design fault, produce the new keyboard, call are people with laptops of the involved series, and change the keyboard.
    Thanks again, please let me know when you will produce right keyboards.
  • philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Hi, I don't work for Acer. I am a forum volunteer. This spacebar problem isn't totally new. I have seen keyboards before that wouldn't space if you talled the lower edge. I believe this is caused by uneven pressure on the spacebar and it is pushing it sideways as well as down.The good thing is they made it with tight tolerances. The bad thing is when someone taps itlike this instead of the way it was designed to work, straight down. it binds.

I think after a bit of use, it will free up and you will stop having this problem. Time will tell. 

• Moresby
    Moresby Member Posts: 29 New User

This is often causes by a space bar seating problem.  I've fixed this on a number of laptops with "chicklet" style keys.

Here's what you do.

First, find the dead area on the space bar.  Make a note of it.

Second, gently remove the spacebar.  This can be done with a screwdriver.  Or even a plastic knife.  Just take your time and do it carefully.

Third, once the space bar is removed check the sensors.  Make sure they're all working fine.  If they are move onto the fourth step.

Fourth, snap the space bar back in place, paying special attention to the dead area.  If it doesn't work pry up that area and try again.

In most cases, your space bar should now be working fine.  No dead area or sensitivity problem.  However, if you find one of the sensors isn't working this fix won't work.  But we'll deal with that if that's the problem.

• akharrouby

Thank you for posting the above solution, I would have tried it, but it seems to be technicaly dificult.

And if I break the spacebar then I have to replace the keyboard and it will be not covered by the warranty, because its is misuse.

• Moresby
    Moresby Member Posts: 29 New User

Yes, if it's too difficult for you to do. please stop.  You don't want to break the space bar.

Perhaps you have a computer savvy friend who can help.  Or you can find an old laptop with a similar keyboard to practice on.

It's good to learn how to remove these sort of keys.  As there are other reasons why you may need to remove one in the future.

But, again, if you feel you're breaking it, stop.  You don't want to be in an even worse situation.  Although you probably wouldn't need to replace the whole keyboard just the space bar itself.

Good luck!

• JK17
    JK17 Member Posts: 1 New User

Imagine my frustration after getting my new laptop. The laptop in general - I've been working with a broken one for 4 years because my father got frustrated and slammed it against his desk edge several times. It took all this time to finally approach the subject and find the one I wanted. I've been impressed with Acer and really liked what I heard about this, so this is a doulbe punch.

Anyway, my first issue was the stupid notification images flashing every time I touched a key and it took me over 2 hours to fix the issue (merely uninstalled the Lanuch Manager software!) But I am a writer - maybe not officially or published yet, but the space bar issue is really becoming a problem! But I have no other option. Any other laptop comes only with Windows 8 or 10, and the ones with Windows 7 are either over $500 or refurbished and the last refurbished computer locked my OS key and made it useless!

If I really focus on the pressure power required I can do it, but when I am deep in thought with my writing I forget and sometimes don't look up at the screen for several seconds, only to find the longest sentence ever typed as every word is linked together!

I'm not completely surprised as I've owned other pc's by Dell, HP and Gateway and each of them have their own annoying hardware and software problems. But typing is like one of the key functions on a computer. So you'd think the company and designers would make sure it works and is user friendly. It's almost as if the designers didn't know how to type or just use one finger at a time. The phrase "words per minute" never crossed their mind!

I can find settings for repeat and delay rate, but what about keyboard sensitivity? I personally can't find anything, but my knowledge is minimal to customized settings. Yet I'm sure if there was there wouldn't be dozens of these threads with the same problem unresolved! How about software that detects when you punch and increase so this space bar issue could truly be resolved! Aside from this problem I love this computer.