Black screen Aspire E15 (E5-571-38S4)

Peter7
Peter7 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi community memebers,

I'm unable to start my laptop at the moment and only the power light goes on, but the screen stays black. In this community, I've read about the possibility of flashing the bios using a program called Rufus. That post however was more than a year old and I could not use the given parameters in Rufus anymore.

I hope that anyone can help me out ...

Many thanks,

Peter7 from Holland

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer

What happens when you try to turn the screen on and off with the Fn+F6 toggle screen key combination?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Peter7

Nothing happens. I just see a very short flickering of the screen on startup and then everything is black... 

• JackE

Does this system still have its original factory-installed bios and Windows versions? Do you hear any bios beep error codes immediately after powering up? If not, please test your display card/adapter by trying to HDMI or VGA out to an external TV. You may have to press the Fn+F5 or Fn+F6 toggle key combos to turn the external TV on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Peter7

The laptop has come back to life. I had not touched it for hours and now it started without any problem ... I hope this was a one time thing. I ran some diagnostic tools, but found nothing.

I'll keep you up to date if it goes black again.

Many thanks for your assistance !

• JackE

Sounds good for now. But if it happens again, strongly resist the urge to try a bios flash as it can be a hazardous maneuver that can and often does totally brick a machine. There are many other things to try before a flash is warranted. A complete power down with charger & battery removal overnight is one of the first things to try if you run into a bios startup or boot issue like this again. Good luck. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ