Battery not charging: 100% (plugged in, not charging)

Options
taylan21
taylan21 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives

Have this problem ever since i upgraded to Windows 10.

I can run my notebook only plugged in. Shutsdown immediately once power cord is no longer plugged in.

Notebook: Aspire E1-522

-Windows 10 Upgrade supported: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/windows10-eligible-models

Driver infos:

1. Graphics Chipset: AMD Radeon HD 8200 / R3 Series - Version 21.19.407.0 installed.
  2. CPU: AMD E2-3800 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics - Version 10.0.10586.0 installed.
  3. Bios: Version: 2.09 installed.
  4. Windows Version: Windows 10 (64 bit)

Battery status: "0% available (plugged in, not charging)"

What  could possibly cause this?

Really hope someone will figure this out as all my work related stuff is on this noteDeskbook Cat Sad

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,686 Trailblazer
    Options

When you right click on the battery icon, are there any warning or caution messages? If no, check Device Manager for any warnings or errors. Report back. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• taylan21
    Options

Thanks for your suggestion Jacke.

No warning/caution messages, same for Device Manager.

• JackE
    Options

Can you see a "plugged in" or "plug" on the battery icon? Also, what's the charge level? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• taylan21
    Options

Icon on the taskbar is & always stays like this: icon.

Hoovering over it gets me this notification: "Plugged in, not charging".

However clicking on that icon above & opening the little batterystatus window, it's on 100% and says: "Fully charged."

Battery is probably indeed fully charged, acer on windows 10 just seems to be bugged & glitched?

I also tried this step multiple times, did not fix it either: 

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13677/related/1

Anything else in your mind?

Much appreciated!

• JackE
    Options

>>>clicking on that icon above & opening the little batterystatus window, it's on 100% and says: "Fully charged.">>>

OK. At this point, while leaving the charger plugged into the laptop receptacle, what happens when you pull the charger's 110VAC plug from the 110VAC wall socket?

If the PC soon shuts down after the charger's smoothing capacitor has drained, I'd *guess* the battery's internal charge-control chip has failed to correctly report state-of-charge to Win10. If it continues to run, I'd hafta guess something else is amiss.

Report back with results so I can keep guessing. 8^)

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• taylan21
    Options

When i pull the AC from the socket, notebook immediately  turns off.

So letting it drain out wouldn't work either when I can't even power it on at ALL

without having the AC plugged in.

Anything else?

Thanks!

• JackE
    Options

You said earlier===>>>Battery status: "0% available (plugged in, not charging)">>>

>>>battery status window, it's on 100% and says: "Fully charged.">>>

These seem contradictory. Which status monitor were you using in the first report?

Also, with the machine shut down, have you tried to remove both the power supply & battery, and then press/hold the power for several minutes? This should drain any residual system charge that may be interfering with the status monitors. Then replace the battery & power supply and see what the monitors report.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Deedee945
    Deedee945 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Have the same exact problem.  Hover over the battery icon, when plugged in, on the taskbar, and it says "Plugged In and not charging." When you hover over it when unplugged it states "unknown remaining."  Battery indicator is black.  There is also a orange blinking light, always on regardless of whether plugged-in, in the upper left corner of the laptop.  Looks like the battery indicator.  When you click on the same Icon the pop-up says fully charged, unplug the power cord and the laptop shuts off after a few minutes of being unplugged.  

We did upgrade to the Windows 10 full version, no longer using the safe "S" version.  Is there now a known software issue?  Don't see why the software issue would cause it to shut down though as if the battery was dead.
  • taylan21
    Options

Deedee945 said:
    Have the same exact problem.  Hover over the battery icon, when plugged in, on the taskbar, and it says "Plugged In and not charging." When you hover over it when unplugged it states "unknown remaining."  Battery indicator is black.  There is also a orange blinking light, always on regardless of whether plugged-in, in the upper left corner of the laptop.  Looks like the battery indicator.  When you click on the same Icon the pop-up says fully charged, unplug the power cord and the laptop shuts off after a few minutes of being unplugged.  

We did upgrade to the Windows 10 full version, no longer using the safe "S" version.  Is there now a known software issue?  Don't see why the software issue would cause it to shut down though as if the battery was dead.
    It's been almost 3 years and I still can't charge my battery. I even tried using a brand new battery, but not even that would charge.

So pretty sure it's a software issue. I'd say we are in need of new win10 drivers which don't exist yet and probably will never ever exist too considering how old this thread is.

Oh and you are lucky that yours doesn't shut off immediately when unplugged and at least stays on for a few minutes. Mine goes to sleep immediately as soon as it's unplugged. For the past 3 years i always had my notebook plugged in...i had to :(

Anyone else experiencing this?
  • Amanda_02
    Amanda_02 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    taylan21 said:

Deedee945 said:

It's been almost 3 years and I still can't charge my battery. I even tried using a brand new battery, but not even that would charge.

So pretty sure it's a software issue. I'd say we are in need of new win10 drivers which don't exist yet and probably will never ever exist too considering how old this thread is.

Oh and you are lucky that yours doesn't shut off immediately when unplugged and at least stays on for a few minutes. Mine goes to sleep immediately as soon as it's unplugged. For the past 3 years i always had my notebook plugged in...i had to :(

Anyone else experiencing this?
    I have the exact same problem. When I got my computer it worked great then when I decided to get the new update it started to act up with the charging.