Aspire M5 "Default boot device missing or boot failure"

Options
jpt3333
jpt3333 Member Posts: 8 New User

Hello and thank you in advance for ANY help you may offer. I have an Aspire M5 which will suddenly not boot and gives the message "Default boot device missing or boot failure" and asks for Recovery Media to be inserted. I have a usb recovery media and also have signed up with Acer cloud. With my recovery media I have tried to Refresh and Reset my PC as to no avail.When i try a System Restore is gives me  an error and says "you must specify which Windows installation to restore. Restart, select operating system, and then select System Restore." Unfortunately there is no operatingsystem to select when I restart. I am very concerned about losing the data on my hard drive, it is more valueable than the drive itself. Now I'm trying to check if somehow my files are backed up on Acer Cloud - is there a way to do this? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated thanks! 

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Not good.

i suspect an HDD failure, the only way to check it, is to take it off from your laptop and connect it to another PC with an external HDD bay.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Options

to check about your files on Acer cloud, you need to install Acer BYOC applications on another PC and login with your account.

http://www.acer.com.sg/ac/en/SG/content/byoc-consumer

about your laptop not booting, please report the installed OS.

try to press F2 at boot to enter BIOS and check on main page if the HDD on SATA devices is listed.

• jpt3333
    Options

In boot mode I have:

1. HDD0:

2. HDD1:

3. USB FDD:

4. Network Boot: Realtek PXE B05 D00

5. USB HDD:

6. USB CDROM:

There are no names after the HDD1 and HDD2 so I am assuming it is not seeing the hard drive.

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

Not good.

i suspect an HDD failure, the only way to check it, is to take it off from your laptop and connect it to another PC with an external HDD bay.

• jpt3333
    Options

Thanks IronFly for the help. I wil try reading the drive with another computer. You mentioned I might be able to access my backup files via Acer BYOC on another computer? I will try this out as well, although my understanding of BYOC is that the computer that you are trying to access files from must be on and working. Thanks again for the help, keep you posted.

• IronFly
    Options

if your files was synced on cloud using ACER BYOC, you can access from any computer with your credentials.

• TeresaHsu
    TeresaHsu Member Posts: 68 Troubleshooter
    Options

Hi jpt3333,

Acer BYOC Apps help you Build Your Own Cloud using your own devices. Your PC becomes your personal cloud data center and your mobile devices can access all your content. You can backup your files in your Own Cloud from your other device.

With abPhoto, you can sync photos between your PCs and your mobile devices. Please refer to the Tutorial video to find how to use abPhoto. For the other apps, please refer to the Online Help.

Acer BYOC Apps Support

• jpt3333
    Options

UPDATE: the hard drive ended up needing to be replaced; data was unrecoverable.