Aspire ES1 not detecting wifi networks

ccschade
ccschade Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

After a frustrating few hours, I am turning to this forum for help, please. Ours is not a unique problem, but other discussions of the same problem have not provided enough help.

Up to this morning, the Aspire had not only detected (and connected to) our home wifi network, but had detected all the other wifi networks in the neighbourhood. Now it doesn't find any. Our other four devices continue to connect as usual.

We looked at the device list under 'network adapters' and in this list, according to Acer's own help page, we should have two adapters among the others there: Ethernet adapter for wired network and wireless network adapter. Neither are present.

We have no idea how they came to be 'lost' or how we can restore them. Any help would be much appreciated, and please bear in mind we are reasonably computer literate, but not techies.

Or, do I just need to send the wretched machine back?

Best Answer

Answers

• GuruAid-CS
    GuruAid-CS Member Posts: 467 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

In this case, it is recommended to perform System Restore to restore your system to a point in time when your wireless network was working fine. To know how to perform System Restore, you can refer to the link below:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/system-restore

Hope this will help you.

• ccschade

Tinkerer

Dear GuruAid-CS

Thank you for your prompt reply. However, the laptop came ready-loaded with Windows 8.1 and the Windows help page for how to restore your PC says

"If your PC came with Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1, you’ll need the discs or thumb drive that came with your PC." We did not receive any discs with the laptop. Neither were we prompted to create any recovery discs.

Do you have any solution for this?

With thanks

• GuruAid-CS
    GuruAid-CS Member Posts: 467 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Please note that you do not need a disc or thumb drive to perform System Restore. Assuming that you already have a restore point created prior to the issue, you can go to the following link and perform the instructions mentioned under "Restore your PC to an earlier point in time":
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

If the issue still persists, you can go to the following link and download the latest wireless drivers for your model:
    http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

If the issue still persists, you can contact Acer support through the following link for further assistance:
    http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact

Hope this will help you.

• ccschade

Tinkerer

To begin with, we cannot connect to the Internet. Even if you plug in an Ethernet cable between the laptop and the modem, no networks are detected.

I have now tried a complete system restore, setting everything back to factory default, and still there are no networks detected in the whole area.

This problem is frustrating and I don't know what to do!

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

Can other devices connect to the internet?

What modem do you have?

What router?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ccschade

Tinkerer

Sorry did not mean to accept this as a solution! Everything else connects ok. The Aspire does not even detect the dozen or so wifi networks in the Neighbourhood that all other devices see. System restore did not work. Spent ages online with Acer today and they are collecting it for repair. Something went seriously wrong and now it's back to the manufacturer.
  • ccschade

Tinkerer

Note: clicked 'solved' by mistake. This problem is ongoing and can only be solved by the laptop going back to Acer which they have agreed to do.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

I'm pretty sure that you have to click on the settings cogwheel on the solved post to unsolve it.

I'd be curious to know what the final resolution is.  Thanks.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ccschade

Tinkerer

Thanks. That worked!
  • ccschade

Tinkerer

We got our laptop back today - it was fixed quite quickly, but we didn't know the courier was going to attempt delivery, so we were away the first couple of times he came. Communication from Acer was non-existent!

Anyway, the Repair Centre Report reads:

"Problem Description:

S: Wifi issue; other devices works fine without any issues.

T: Tried updating drivers and recovery stil the same A: Repair R:"

"Diagnosis/Repair Details:

after testing unit found faulty wifi card unable to connect to wifi,--replaced wifi

card system bios updated v1.09"

We just hope the wifi card doesn't ***** out again!