Aspire ES1-512. My speakers intermittently quit working.

Options
mark_idle
mark_idle Member Posts: 5 New User

My Aspire ES1-512 have intermittent speaker failures. I checked the drivers and they are ok. Also when I check the speaker properties in the Control Panel it says they are working properly. When they are inoperative I cannot play videos as I get an error message.

Answers

• philetus
    Options

You said you checked the driver and it was OK. Try uninstall the driver in Add and Remove, reboot and reinstall the driver.

• mark_idle
    Options

I did as you said and now it appears to be working. It will take a little longer to see. However, I now get an intermittentent righ tone that drowns out all other sounds. I cannot find where it is coming from. It even happens when I turn on the computer and have not opened up any programs or connected to the internet.

• mark_idle
    Options

I have found the ring tone. It is Ring03, it is a WAV file in Media. But I cannot delete it or figure out how to shut it off.

• philetus
    Options

Did you try to delete it in C:\Windows\media? 

Open a command prompt as administrator and navagate to the file and try to delete it.I don't know if another one will take it's place, I've never ran into this problem.

• mark_idle
    Options

II appreciate your help, but I'm afraid I do not know how to navigate the prompt. Not quiet that computer literate.

• philetus
    Options

Right click the speaker icon and check the properties of tthe microphone/s in Recording and see if one has Listen to this device is not checked.

• mark_idle
    Options

I gave up and upgraded to Windows 10. It appears the problem has gone away. Thanks again for you assistance.

• philetus
    Options

That's one way to fix it.

Download and try the trial of start 10. https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/

It makes 10 as easy as windows 7.