Aspire ES 15 Running Slow. Brand new.

Lanik
Lanik Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives

I just bought an Aspire ES 15. Just loaded it up. I'm experiencing a surprising amount of lag. I press the start menu and it takes a second to open up. I try to scroll down in a window and its slow, delayed, laggy. It's not what I would expect from a brand new laptop. I can't believe how slow this brand new computer is responding to simple tasks. Is this normal?

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer

I am not sure what software your using or how much Ram you have but I would think that it may be that Windows is doing updates and the Ram. Sadly this is something that can happen when it first starts out. I would let it do its thing for a little while and see if after you restart it if it works better....

James

• Lanik

It's windows 10, 6gb ram and AMD Radeon R3.

All windows updates are done, my network and display drivers are all up to date now. Still getting minor lag that is unacceptable for a brand new laptop. It can't run even the poorest flash games without some sort of flickering/noticeable lag. The scrolling in browsers is far too delayed and even pulling up applications like AMD catalyst or windows update is slow. I literally unboxed this last night. I'm a little disappointed. For 500$ I expected a little better than this in this day and age.

• tontytots
    tontytots Member Posts: 77 Troubleshooter

Just butting in to this convo. My own machine had similar start-up issues, and I was informed to download a system-doctor app, that worked well for me. The machine however should have something similar installed somewhere.

• Nieki
    Nieki Member Posts: 5 New User

Hello, did you find a solution for this problem? I would like to know. I have the same laptop with the same problems (brandnew and soooooo slowww)

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,076 Trailblazer

If you have trial versions of any third party security programs installed, just get rid of it and see whether it fixes the problem.

• Nieki
    Did that. It helps a bit, but still slow. Any ideas?
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,076 Trailblazer

Replacing HDD with a SSD will improve the performance.

• aardbei
    aardbei Member Posts: 3 New User

I have created an account just to reply to this.

I experience exactly the same. bought a brand new Acer Aspire ES 15 (ES1-531-C8S7) and it the lag is unbearable. I am currently deinstalling the McAfee software which comes with the laptop and then placing an SSD, but this is not what you expect from a €300 laptop. We expect it to run smooth and steady, at least for the most basic operations such as browsing, using word, etc.

• Nieki

Same here!

This laptop is now slower than my 10-yrs old one! I bought this to replace that one. I have uninstalled McAfee, it's a bit better but still. Same thing as Aarbei said, unexceptable. 

Also I am just a 'standard' user, no expert. I just want it to work smoothly. What is an SSD?

(@aardbei; Nederlands neem ik aan?).

• aardbei

Hey there!

Exactly the same. Uninstallation made it a bit better. Moreover, the new Acer is now finishing its windows updates of which I ususally got notice through the bottom-right corner of the interface. You can check for updates by searching for "updates" in the bottom left corner and selecting "check for updates". The downloading of these updates should be automatic but takes extraordinarly long, as well as the installation. Hope the speed increases afterwards.

An SSD is a Solid-State Drive, which forms an alternative for the HDD, or Hard Disk Drive. SSD's are more expensive for the same data capacity but load much much faster. Buying and installing an SSD can lower your laptop start-up time drastically when the operating system is installed on it and also eliminates the risk of memory loss associated with a pin hovering over a spinning component (HDD). So in case your laptop falls, no more pin potentially destroying all your data. SSD's can usually be installed besides the HDD, so you can enjoy both increased start up and performance speed and the large capacity of an HDD. 

Aardbei

(Nederlands inderdaad! Smiley Wink )

• aardbei

The updates are now fully downloaded and installed. However, the performance speed of the laptop still lags up to seconds after action. Honestly, for the price of this laptop we are most certainly able to buy far better machines. This thing leaves me with a worse working browser than my 6 year old Acer Aspire. That one did cost around €600 at the time, but you would expect a similar model to be available for less than half of that price in over 6 years.

I am not yet sure of installing the SSD. Maybe I should leave the laptop's case closed (literally) and return it for another model. I am looking for ways to make this Acer Aspire ES 15 work properly, any ideas?

Aardbei

• Nieki
    I would also like to know what to do! Bring it back to the store?
    Ik had toch verwacht een normaal werkend apparaat te krijgen voor dit geld, in deze tijd.
  • GeoffCol
    GeoffCol Member Posts: 1 New User

My PC is regularly slow to react to my keyboard functions and using the cursor on the pad the arrow is jirky (sticks/jumps)

and

Now my OneNote programme is locked in error    0x00015E0.

How do I get out of that Please?

• LaaberFinn
    LaaberFinn Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Old post, but still very relevant.

I bought a Acer Aspire MM 15 laptop this past week to replace an older HP that I have had for 5 years.

I unboxed the laptop, ran the initilization setup and updates and then it was soooooooooo slow. The next day I scrounged google to find all the possible solutions and an easy fix. Enviroment: 4 GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Intel i3 CPU (just a normal workhorse for Office applications and netflix). I'm also a system administrator and encounter problems everyday, but this was particulary special. I do not think that this is a hardware issue but rather a Windows 10 problem (Are you suprised?) 

I was able to fix the slow problem within a few hours, and created an account here just to reply to this thread. Here is what I did to help others.

1. After you turn on the PC for the first time, set up account, updates...ect. Restart the computer, then check for updates again.

2. DELETE BLOATWARE

• Desktop Icons (software advertisements ect)
    • Programs and Features: Delete all of the Acer 'cloud' apps (who uses them anyways?), Music Players, Photo Editors (I kept the Microsoft versions), McAffee AntiVirus, File Mangement software, anything else that does not look normal.
    • NOTE: Do keep the Acer Care Center app, very useful to search for drivers and other updates.

3. Click the Windows Start button (lower left corner) --settings--Personalization Icon---Start--- Disable the 1st, 2nd, and 5th option.

4. Go to Task Manager---AutoStart--- now disable the Microsoft One Drive

5. Go to File Explorer:  C:\Windows\Temp  (Select and delete all contents, do not be afraid they are just temp files) Then empty the recycle bin on desktop

6. Run the Windows Defender quick scan

7. Open the Acer Care Center app and check for updates & drivers (PS, there was a driver reccomended to download which windows failed to warn me about)

This did it! The laptop runs at normal speed, video streaming and surfing is normal, also the lagging in Windows is better (scrolling..etc) 

Note: I also reset the computer a few times between the steps.

Goodluck.

• Lanik
    Thank you so much for this. I can't wait to go do all of these steps. My girlfriend doesn't even care but I'm glad someone so knowledgeable had a similar experience. I thought maybe she just cheaped out too much but it's nice to know an expert felt the same way.

Thanks so much for taking the time to make this post.
  • Nieki
    Thanks for your help!
    I will try to follow your instructions.
    (And still I think it's crazy we have to do this in order to be able work with the laptop..)
  • LaaberFinn

Tinkerer

Hi Lanik, 

I'm interested in seeing if these steps work for other people. It's important to delete as many apps in Features & Programs  as possible.  Use this link as a guide, but be very careful not to delete esstenial applications your computer needs to operate.

http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/Acer-oem-bloatware.aspx  (look around on the website on other pages too)

I deleted a lot of the cyberlink DVD apps, Acer app, all the game apps (except solitare)....ect...

Let me know how it goes, be patient during updates and reboot when they are finished before moving to the next step to ensure that the updates are properly installed and working.

• adambeck
    adambeck Member Posts: 1 New User

I called technical support two times to walk me through the steps....rebooted and lost everything on my laptop twice over seeing if it could run at a semi normal .... even 90's speed.... its a crapshoot. everyone write every bad review you can. acer... in wanted a **bleep** laptop 

• LaaberFinn

Tinkerer

A few things I forgot. 

Delete all files in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download   (this step will also make a huge difference in speed performance) 

And delete apps in the windows start menu (click the windows icon on the lower left hand side) and Right click on the app boxes which you do not want and select option to remove from start menu. I personally left the basic windows apps..like word, photos, and the weather app. Delete the bloatware apps..like games, netflix, music and photo editing apps you will never use.  

• LaaberFinn

Tinkerer

Hi adambeck, 

Have you also read the forums for HP notebooks? They resemble the same symptoms of the Acer notebooks. The problem belongs to the operating system...Windows 10, not the hardware. 

Read my posts and follow the directions closley. When I bought my Acer laptop a month ago, I was also really dissapointed because my old HP Laptop Windows 8.1 ran faster than my new one, but realized quickly that the problem lies within Microsoft not Acer.