Aspire ES 15 - EFI partition corrupted, cannot install OS

MegasBaladoros
MegasBaladoros Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I just bought an ACER Aspire ES1-533. It was supposed to be a Linux laptop and it had a very light Linux distribution which I didn't want to use. I tried to install Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS but it froze during the 'grub2' package installation. I had to restart and after that the EFI partition was corrupted. I tried to install again but it keeps freezing at the same point. Also on starting the laptop I get this message:

[  15.381794] EFI: Problem loading in-kernel X.509 certificate (-65)
    [  15.381839] EFI: Problem loading in-kernel X.509 certificate (-65)

So now the situation is a vicious circle:
 - I can not repair the EFI partition because no OS is installed (I can only boot with a live USB).
 - I can not install Ubuntu because EFI partition is corrupted.

It would be fine if I could set up the laptop to boot with BIOS Legacy instead of EFI, because I have no intention to use another OS. Unfortunately, BIOS does not allow me to change this option. (Also, it won't allow me to disable Secure Boot which is also necessary.)

Any ideas, please? 

Answers

• Palmstroem
    Palmstroem Member Posts: 2 New User

To the best of my knowledge the ES1-533 is an UEFI-only machine, so you cannot switch to legacy/MBR boot.

However, that is not necessary. Ubuntu 16.04 can be booted by UEFI. If your EFI partition is really corrupted and you only want to install Ubuntu as the single OS, just generate a fresh EFI partition after you have booted from the USB live system.

The UEFI of this laptop has very limited capabilities, to put it politely. However, after a lot of trouble I managed to even install a Linux/Windows dual boot system. Details can be found here.