Aspire E5-575G-57D4 Unusable On Arrival

Options
akatcl
akatcl Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I have a brand new Aspire E15 which becomes unresponsive after the process svchost gradually uses 99% of the CPU and the system heats up.  Absolutely no software has been installed on the machine and I have performed a factory reset on it but the problem persists. If killed, the process eventually comes back before building to 99% CPU again. My initial assumption was that it was Windows update hanging but sfc /scannow reports problems that it can't fix too.   I tried a fix for hanging Windows update but would gladly try another if somebody has a suggestion.

I'm chatting with Tech Support now and was just told, "The only troubleshoot we can perform is a factory reset, and you already did it."  I expected him to start a remote session and figure out what was happening, and fix it...  while we spoke.   I'm really surprised their only recourse is "factory reset".

They are sending me Recovery Media but I fail to see how it will fix anything seeing as the machine was entirely undadulterated to begin with.   He also offered to have me send it in for repair and I have a feeling I'm going to wish I took that option.  

So, I have come here in hopes that the community has some thoughts on the problem.

Answers

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Guessing a memory leak. Try reseating the ram. Next test if condition occurs when internet not connected, i.e. No Ethernet or wifi.  Svchost is designed to hog CPU when a memory issue happens. Something is corrupted. Either the install itself or a driver that updated when windows detected internet connection. A clean install could correct condition only if the source install is ok. Overall the issue is not easy to trouble shoot due to svchost operating under all the system services. You literally would have to run command lines to put each service in its own instance of svchost which by doing may correct the issue without telling what the source was.