Aspire E5-573G Slow Download Speed

Options
Jnecco01
Jnecco01 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello Everyone,

I've had the above laptop for about 60 days now. I'm getting slow download speeds over wireless which is causing internet pages to take a long time. I currently have Verizon Fios with 75Mbps down.

When I run a speed test I'm getting 5.5Mbps down and 40.77Mbps up. All other wireless devices are posting much faster.

I tried reinstalling the wireless driver, and I've unchecked the box that says "Allow this device to be turned off to save power" but the issue persists.

Thanks,

JN

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Is there any way you can take your laptop over to a friends or neighbors or relatives or coworkers house to test? It will help you isolate the problem and save time w/ your troubleshooting.  That's what I would try first. 

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Jnecco01
    Jnecco01 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

I've tried running it from different wifi connections already. It's the same. I haven't tried the ethernet cable directly yet. I'll try that when I get a chance.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

ok sounds good.

Also, what operating system came pre-installed on your computer?  What operating system are you currently using?

What BIOS version is currently installed on your computer?

What is the latest BIOS version for your computer?

Which wireless driver are you using?

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • jimveta
    jimveta Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Did you check if you had the metered connection setting enabled?

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3162-wireless-network-metered-connection-set-windows-10-a.html

• JW16
    JW16 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

This is likely related to the thread at: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/3ra02w/acer_aspire_e15_e5573g56rg_wifi_is_incredibly/

Potential issue could be the newer Qualcomm 802.11 card connecting to an older Wifi router.   The Qualcomm card can handle all the different protocols 802.11 A/B/G/N/AC, but the router cannot.  Can't speak to anyone's particular situation, but in my case, when I set the "Wireless Mode" under the Qualcomm Adapter properties to only 802.11 G (which I assume is what the router is running), the speed jumped back to what I see on other devices (laptops, tablets, etc).  

• TPow
    TPow Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Thank you so much JW16!  Solved my problem.  I have an ancient Verizon Actiontek router which is compatible up to 802.11G only.

Aspire E17 model number E5-774G-52W1.

To repair, go to Device Manager, under Network adapters, findthe entry 'Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless Adapter'.

Right-clicked, went to Properties.

Advanced tab.

Find the 'Wireless Mode' entry in the list.  Instead of compatibility for a/b/g/n/ac, changed it to b/g .  (there is no a/b/g for some reason.)

Still, I get about half the performance out of this wifi connection than I do for other laptops tested, but I think that the adapter in this laptop was probably tested for modern wifi methods.. next on troubleshooting chart is 'replace old-***** router'.