Aspire E5-573G - Opened case to add RAM, now won't turn on

Options
Vaeleron
Vaeleron Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi all,

I have a brand new E5-573G-52G3, which I opened up to add a 2nd HDD and some RAM that arrived today. I had previously opened it to replace primary HDD with SSD, and all that worked fine. In othert words, I'm pretty comfortable doing basic mods to PCs.

Anyway, like I said, this evening my RAM and 2nd drive caddy arrived, so I opend the case again, added the drive caddy and 2nd HDD (fit perfectly) and the second RAM module (identical to original). Reassembled, and tried to turn on.

Nothing. No sense that anything is powered on. I was VERY careful opening case, but I'm wondering if I accidently moved a key plug ot wire from motherboard or keyboard. The mobo did NOT come off the pegs, but I cannot think of any other reason laptop won't power on. Like I said, it was working an hour ago before I added RAM and drive caddy. Also, I removed drive caddy, tried again, and nothing.

Any ideas before I send the whole thing to Acer for repairs?

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi vaeleron

Have you tried removing the "new" stick of RAM? Or at least double checked that it is sitting correctly? If it starts without the new RAM, then I'd suggest that it may be faulty or perhaps incompatible. If it isn't compatible, then that means it won't boot.

Sometimes RAM may look the same, but could be different.

• Vaeleron
    Options

finlux - yes, I did try it with the new RAM removed, and still nothing. It does not POST or anything. It's as if the power key is not functioning at all. I checked all the connectors that were visible with the bottom off, and they are all seated firmly. I did not try and lift the mobo or anything else from the frame.

Looks like I'll be sending it back. Looks like others are having same issue with no power, so either I did something (that is not visible) or coincidentally had a failure of the power switch while I had it open.

• finlux
    Options

Yes, it certainly sounds as if its failed, which is a shame because it's a great little machine!

Hope you get this sorted - let us know how you get on!

• Vaeleron
    Options

Good news -

Just got a confirmation from Acer that the unit was repaired as a warranty repair and is on it's way back to me. No details in the email exactly what was fixed, but I appreciate that they turned the unit around from receipt to shipment in 2 days.

I'm very happy with the support from Acer.

• finlux
    Options
    That is excellent news!