Aspire E5-573G-52G3 loses wifi sporadically

Options
Jalathas
Jalathas Member Posts: 6 New User

My laptop just got back from repairs with a fresh install of Windows 10 and a BIOS update. Since then, my wifi connection has been unstable at best. It will remain connected to my network, but suddenly claim there's no internet access. This happens regardless of what network I'm connected to, and other devices remain connected during that time. Usually the problem is fixed by putting the laptop into and then out of airplain mode, but sometimes I actually have to disable and reenable the wireless adapter. I don't know if it recovers on its own given time, as when I notice it's happened I, obviously, am trying to USE the internet. 

I've tried fixing this by updating drivers, rolling back drivers, using Windows troubleshooting and Acer Care Center, all to no avail.

Best Answer

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

Go to Programs and Features and uninstall any Wifi driver and then install this one

Wireless LANAtherosWireless LAN Driver (NFA335)10.0.0.303228.5 MB2015/04/21Download

That one doesn't work uninstall it and try this one

Wireless LANAtherosWireless LAN Driver (NFA435)11.0.0.49274.3 MB2015/04/21Download

Answers

• philetus
    Options

See if this works

Go to Control Panel/Network Adapters, double click Network Adapters and your Wifi adapter, choose Driver.

update the driver choosing the Browse My Computer for Driver Software / Let me pick a list of device drivers.

Choose the Atheros.

• Jalathas
    Options

There are three "Qualcomm Atheros" drivers, one marked 4.0.1.137 and the other two 12.0.0.116. I'm guessing these, in some combination, are the original driver on the computer, the one Windows Update installed, and the one I downloaded from the Acer website. As mentioned in my original post, I've tried all of them and the issue occurs regardless.

• philetus
    Options

Look in Device Manager/Network Adapters at your Wifi driver and see whiich one it is.

• Jalathas
    Options

Currently it's 12.0.0.116, and the issue just happened. It was 4.0.1.137 when it happened earlier. Again, the issue occurs regardless of driver version, and I have installed all of the ones on my computer at one point or another.

• philetus
    Answer ✓
    Options

Go to Programs and Features and uninstall any Wifi driver and then install this one

Wireless LANAtherosWireless LAN Driver (NFA335)10.0.0.303228.5 MB2015/04/21Download

That one doesn't work uninstall it and try this one

Wireless LANAtherosWireless LAN Driver (NFA435)11.0.0.49274.3 MB2015/04/21Download

• Jalathas
    Options

The first didn't work, but I haven't had any issues with the second so far. I'll give it a day or so to make sure, but it might have fixed the issue.

EDIT: Yep, no blips all day with the 11.0.0.492 driver.