Aspire E5-532-P4YC - can I install an optical drive?

Options
Claven2
Claven2 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Can I put an optical drive into this model?  The laptop has a cover plate where a drive would normally go.  I've read SOME E5-532 models can accept a drive, while others are not capable of having one installed.

My serial number prefix is NXMYVAA006

I think the model of drive usually in these Aspire models is a Panasonic UJ8HC, but I need that confirmed and that my machine has the required connection to accept the drive.

Thanks!

Answers

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

If you remove the dummy ODD (cover plate), do you see a SATA connector in the bottom of the housing?

LT-ODD SATA connector

France
  • Claven2

Tinkerer

Options
    I don't yet know how to remove the blanking plate. I also don't want to try unless someone can verify it's worth the risk of tinkering with it.
  • laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

There is no risk. You only have to unscrew the screw located on the bottom and in the axle of the dummy odd.

France
  • Claven2

Tinkerer

Options

yes it has connectors in there.

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

Sorry for the delay. You are right. One of the original DVD drives is:

Spoiler
    KO.00807.020DVD/R/RW.SMULTI.9MM.TRAY.8X (Panasonic UJ8HCABAA2-B

But you have no ODD bracket, screws and ODD bezel. If you need these parts, I can give them to you.

France
  • Claven2

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks. I just bought one on eBay that might work and has the bezel setup, but you never know if it will fit until you get it in hand. I'll let you know if it doesn't fit.
  • Claven2

Tinkerer

Options

I can provide an update.  The Panasonic UJ8HC fit perfectly and works fine.  The one I got from a system pull off e-bay even came with the right bezel.