Aspire E5-511 - Keyboard Problem

Options
mikewj
mikewj Member Posts: 1 New User

I have an Aspire E5-511, which I've updated to run 64bit Win 10. Everything was working fine until today when I went to use the laptop to find the keyboard had gone into some kind of slow mode when logged into a Windows 10 desktop. It now takes up to 4 seconds to recognise a key press, whereas, when initially logging on (picking an id and typing in the password), it works perfectly. As soon as I'm actually in the desktop, the delay kicks in making it impossible to do anything without firing up the virtual keyboard (in the accessibiilty settings).

In the Keyboard settings, i noticed that I have 2 keyboards devices, HID Keyboard Device and Standard PS/2 Keyboard, both of which are (according to Device Manager) running the latest drivers (10.0.10240.16384). I've removed both and let Windows reinstall them without any success. I've also tried installing the latest Synaptics and Elantech drivers from the Acer Support site, without success. 

I've noticed in the Windows Update History that there was an update to the Windows - Keyboard - Microsoft Hardware USB Keyboard on 17/10, which is a coincidence, although it could be that one of my kids has pressed some combination of sticky keys that's caused this problem. 

I've gone through a host of sites via Google, which suggest that for Acer and other makes of laptop, there maybe a compatability issue with Win10, but if it is, it only started on the last day and there are no new drivers on the Acer support page.

Has anyone come across this or have a solution ? 

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Ctrl+Alt+Delete and open Task Manager. See if you can find   FMAPP.exe.

If you do, stop it and see if it makes a difference.