Aspire E15 touchpad click buttons not working

FlyingAlex
FlyingAlex Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi everyone,

new to the forum and I'm hoping you can help me out.

My wife has an Aspire E15 (E5-511-P8C8) using Windows 8.1 and a little while ago the click functionality stopped working. The touchpad itself works (it can be used to move the cursor), but it is not possible to make a right click or left click using the buttons. 

I've tried the suggestions I could find in the forum (reinstalling IO Chipset and Synaptics drivers, reinstalling all drivers off the Acer website, updating BIOS version), but nothing has worked. 

I'm wondering whether it might be a hardware issue? Is there anything else I could try?

Many thanks for any and all suggestions!

-Alex

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

Hi Alex

If the touchpad has lost its click (where you press it) then yes - almost certainly an hardware issue.

Is it still under warranty?

• FlyingAlex

Hi finlux,

thanks for your reply.

Yes, there is no response from the computer when we try to click using the touchpad. It also no longer makes a sound when clicking.

The computer would still be under warranty, but it was bought in Canada and we have moved to the UK in the meantime. The warranty is only valid within Canada and the United States. For the purposes of this discussion, please assume that the computer is out of warranty. What are our options then?

-Alex

• finlux

Well, it may still be worth speaking to Support - it is worth a shot.

Welcome to sunny UK by the way Smiley Tongue

If Acer insist that it is not covered under warranty, then it will be worth trying a local PC store to fix it for you.

• FlyingAlex

Thanks for the suggestion to call support. They offered to examine the computer and possibly fix it under the International Traveller's Warranty scheme. However, they quoted me a minimum cost of £37, plus the shipping, just to look at it. 

I decided to have a look at it myself and opened up the case. The contacts for the touchpad seemed a little out of place, so I pushed them back to where it appeared they ought to be. It worked. The computer's back in business. 

• finlux

Wow, great - as easy as that!

Normally, I wouldn't suggest opening a case of a laptop that is still under warranty, but I think you made the right decision.