Aspire E1 571 bad hard drive

Options
dvgb131
dvgb131 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

What is the procedure to recover an Aspire E1 571 Windows 8 notebook from bad hard drive?

New, bigger hard drive has been installed.

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

1) yes, it will work and install without issues if you leave the new HDD unallocated (no format) before using the USB eRecovery media

2) nope, activation is on your BIOS if you have windows 8.x; if you have windows 7, there will be a sticker on your laptop with a product key

2a) Drivers are in the USB eRecovery media or you will be able to download newer version from here:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers/4098;-;Aspire%20E1-571

3) yes, you are right but you don't need it, since you have the Acer USB eRecovery media.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,095 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello,

Do you have the eRecovery media?

Recovery Media

France
  • dvgb131

Tinkerer

Options
    I have a USB I created. But the recovery didn't work.
  • laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,095 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello,

Have you done a Windows recovery or an Acer recovery media USB flash drive?

France
  • dvgb131

Tinkerer

Options

Let me rephase my question:

Will a recovery disk purchased from the Acer store based on the device serial number work with a new, bigger hard drive to restore the laptop to factory default config?

Are there any known "gotchas" to this recovery? Like problems with the Windows product code or activation?

Drivers?

I am assuming I will be able to make a new USB recovery device after the laptop is recovered. Is this true?

Thanks.

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

1) yes, it will work and install without issues if you leave the new HDD unallocated (no format) before using the USB eRecovery media

2) nope, activation is on your BIOS if you have windows 8.x; if you have windows 7, there will be a sticker on your laptop with a product key

2a) Drivers are in the USB eRecovery media or you will be able to download newer version from here:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers/4098;-;Aspire%20E1-571

3) yes, you are right but you don't need it, since you have the Acer USB eRecovery media.

• dvgb131

Tinkerer

Options

Great! Thanks!

Recovery media on order.

I will update this thread after I attempt the recovery. 

• dvgb131

Tinkerer

Options

Another question. How do you choose which driver you load if multiple vendors are given?

For the wireles lan, there are drivers for Intel, Atheros, and Broadcomm.

Thanks again.

• IronFly
    Options

oh.....the USB erecovery media is specific to your model, so it will have the correct driver, if you want to update, you just need to check on device manager about the installed model.

• dvgb131

Tinkerer

Options

What if the hard drive has partitions and a Windows 8 instance on it?

Nevermind. Found a forum describing how to re-initialize a disk if Windows Disk Management won't let you.

Restore is chugging along...