Aspire E1-510 memory problem

Options
Laban_Luka
Laban_Luka Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Friend ask me to upgrade his Aspire E1-510 with 4Gb of RAM. It had only 2Gb and since it have only one memory slot I change his 2Gb DDR3L 1600 with Kingston DDR3L 1600 CL11 4Gb RAM.

Problem is that BIOS show 4096kb install memory but Windows 7 state that there is 4Gb (1,89GB available)??? Im confused. Since it is 32bit Windows it should state 3,2Gb... or little less due to VGA card.

Thx.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,287 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi,

Try each memory stick one by one in each slot and tell us how they show in task manager, they may not be seated properly or one of them may be faulty, however, test them one by one with above method.

• Laban_Luka
    Options

Maybe, because my english, I didnt say right.... laptop have only 1 slot for memory. So only one so-dimm can be used.

First is original laptop memory: Kingston ACR16D3LS1NGG/2G. So its DDR3L 1600Mhz CL11 made for Acer with 2Gb capacity. It works fine, BIOS state 2048Mb, mem test pass and Windows reports 2Gb (1,89 usable).

Second (new) is Kingston KVR16LS11/4. Again its DDR3L 1600Mhz CL11 with 4Gb capacity. Works fine, BIOS state 4096Mb, mem test pass and Windows reports 4Gb (1,89 usable).

In case of original 2Gb its all OK. Its 2Gb, BIOS and Win state 2Gb, Intel HD graphics use 0,11Gb and the rest is usable by sistem.

In case of new 4Gb thing are confusing. Both BIOS and Win state 4Gb, Intel HD graphics use 0,11Gb.... but it only 1,89Gb usable by sistem? Where did 2Gb disappeared?

Since Windows is 32bit edition it should state something between 2,7 and 3,5Gb usable depending on motherboard and I/O devices.

Laptop is NXMGREX015401105903400 with BIOS version 2.11 (legasy mode enable) running Windows 7 32-bit.

EDIT: Forgot to say Memtest86+ is used to test memory and it state 3983Mb of system memory in case of Kingston KVR16LS11/4

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi,

Give this a try, it's for a different Operating system and 64 bit but the method same for your situation as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe34DiexXzk

• Laban_Luka
    Options

Unfortunately it did not help. It was uncheck with gray zero in value box. So I try to play with it and did not get any result.

First I try to check it and automatical get 4096 value but after restart situation was the same, 4Gb (1,89Gb usable),  and when I start msconfig again it was uncheck with grey zero value like a did not change it at all. I try some variation: check/uncheck, with 0/3840/4096 value but nothing. Just one time it was accepted and that was when I checkit with 3840 value (4Gb - 256Mb) and after restart value stay checked and active but windows still report same thing: 4Gb (1,89Gb usable).

Thanks to the good will

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi,

No problem, I have found this online, the Skylake Processors have this problem, but your laptop have Pentium N3520 or N2920, I can not think of any solution, so could you please wait for someone else to help you.

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

The bad news is your operating system. While yes, 32bit Win7 can address 3.2gb ram it is the way it accesses it. The newer cpu's address the pci bus differently than the older systems with dedicated north bridge chip. The old way was separate chip, the new is built into the CPU architecture and the 32bit win 7 can not access it properly. So, without over complicating this basically you have a incompatibility issue of 32bit win 7 OS addressing the 64bit bus and its only accessing half the ram. Would need a tweaked chipset driver for that CPU to access the north bridge part of itself for 32bit Win7.  Changing to 64 bit Win7 will fix it due to the way it accesses bus.

Edit: I would like to add if the laptop had the bios feature to change memory addressing you could overcome this but support for any 32bit OS is limited.