Acer eRecovery CD failure: "Fail to get PT Info" Aspire V5-571

Options
bkbrsys
bkbrsys Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi All - My Aspire V5-571 failed to boot last week giving a repeating beep and then "Operating System not found" in upper left corner. Tried killing power (including pulling battery) and rebooting multiple times with no luck. This is originally a Win 8.1 machine upgraded to Win 10.

I ordered the eRecovery CD set from Acer (based on my SNID, so they should be the right disks) and tried them this morning. The instructions say to start with the System Disk and hit F12 at the splashscreen to bring up the boot menu. I did this (have tried multiple times) and no boot menu ever comes up. This is what I do see and hear:
1. Power on, immediate repeating short (I think) beeps
2. Splashscreen
3. I press F12
4. CD crunches and then whirs
5. Beeping stops
6. After a while wait wheel appears and CD stops making noise (simultaneously)
7. Blue screen
8. Partial DOS box quickly flashes in upper left
9. CD access
10. After a bit Error Message Dialog appears "Fail to get PT Info" with only "OK" as response option
11. I screen-touch "OK"
12. Goes to black screen, then splashscreen and entire sequence repeats.
Hitting F12 or not hitting it makes no difference.

Any suggestions or diagnoses? Bad hard drive? Bad system ware? Thanks for any help Smiley Happy

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Boot pressing F2 at boot to enter BIOS.

first of all, check if the SSD/HDD is listed on BIOS mainpage or under SATA devices or boot list.

then under BOOT menu, enable F12 boot menu, then press F10 to save and exit.

now at the next boot, press F12 and choose the DVD/CD as bootable device.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • bkbrsys
    Options

Thanks very much for your reply IronFly. Unfortunately, F2 doesn't bring up the BIOS - indeed no change in behavior at all. I tried F2-ing once or continuously, same deal. I did get a keyboard-input beep on the continuous try however, so at least I know there is no keyboard failure.

Have you ever seen this error befor ("Fail to get PT Info") before? Even a google search returned nothing...

• cbert1
    cbert1 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Did you find solution ?

• bkbrsys
    Options

Not a "solution" so much as a stroke of luck. Since I was trying to boot from DVD, I allowed the sequence as described to cycle through once, and "OK"ed at the "Fail to get PTInfo" error message; this causes the system to attempt a reboot.

While it was in the power check cycle I popped the DVD and THIS caused a "Hey - you took my boot media; want to go into BIOS set-up?" (Obviously didn't write that msg down, but yeah, that's a reasonable paraphrase.) Glorybe, *finally* access to BIOS.

For my over-arching problem, no joy in mudville as BIOS had no hard drive found, so, bad drive. But in working on this problem I found TONS of chatter on the various sites about not being able to get into BIOS set-up on a Win10 michine (not just on Acer machines). So, I was thrilled to just get access that day, even though the final news was bad.

Good luck to you cbert1 !