Acer e1-421 RAM upgrade for real ?

crisorlandobr
crisorlandobr Member Posts: 10 New User

Hi

I asked this question in the past here but no one gave me a solid explanation

I am about to make a RAM upgrade in my e1-421-0 br899 and I know it can handle more than 4gb on each RAM slot, since I already tested and it would work with larger RAM

But for real, what kind of RAM can it really handle ?

I have been to Crucial website and it looks that it can handle 1866 RAM, but would it work with Gskill Ripjaws too ?

I am thinking about using 2x8 F3-1866C11S-8GRSL
It operates on low voltage (1.35) but also works on 1.5, so I guess any system would be able to use it

The model is here: http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-1866c11s-8grsl

And I found a seller with good prices here in Brazil

So, any ideas ? Anyone here has experience with that ?

Tks

Answers

• MattmanCDN
    MattmanCDN Member Posts: 108

Tinkerer

hello Crisorlandobr i tried to find your model specs and nothing comes up on google for me here in Canada not sure why, how old is this laptop and could you tell me what cpu graphics and ram you have i will go from there to help you .....do not give out serial numbers to me , just is it INTEL or AMD and what graphics can maybe help find your info on ram limit.

Regards Matt

• crisorlandobr

Hi Matt

Its AMD E1-1200 APU (officially clocked at 1400Mhz)
    Its not a fast like i5, i7 or some more expensive AMD CPU notebooks but I overclock with K10stat (OC app) so I can get it going at 3400-3500Mhz (and no overheating)and things run pretty much smooth in general (Had some slowness with Win 10 but I already solved by deleting temp files and change privacy settings, but moslty of the issues I use to have here are related to Win10 and some drivers that are still not good as Win7 and Win 8.1 ones)

This APU has an ATI dedicated video processor with 256mb, but since its a basic GPU inside the chip, I "hacked" my notebook (unlocked the BIOS) and I added a mini-pciexpress (I sacrificed the internal wifi) bridge to PCIe so I could use an external (desktop) GPU, by altering the BIOS to turnoff the integrated video(The original BIOS has this setting and AMD-V locked, but the unlocked/hacked BIOS allows to tweak more advanced settings)

I had no GPU related performance problems here since I added a Geforce GT740SC here and an external display because the external GPU does not send video signal back to the notebook, and the only problems I still have with the GPU are driver related, since Nvidia screwed a lot with the newer Windows 10 drivers, but I can managed by  updating to the newest drivers

And btw, I already tested the notebook with 8gb RAM piece (I am using but as single channel, since its only one RAM piece) and with more than 8gb (8gb in one slot and 4gb in the other) and it worked, but I did not keep both since they were from different brands, speed and config....

Tks

• MattmanCDN

Tinkerer

WOW! You know your stuff im just getting into laptops and learning more every day mine does not have a dual channel mem controller so i wonder if dumping hard earned money on a 16 GB kit is worth it for single channel use .Not sure I can help you we are both testing are own units I want to modify my A4 R3 as much as i can ,SSds are the best bang for the buck but mem in single channel not so if thats all the chipset mem controller can handle ...depends on what you do with the comp I guess. Gonna come back in after i figure this out .

Salute Man !

Matt

• crisorlandobr

Hi

What is your notebook model ?
    Are you sure it doesnt handle dual channel ?
    Oficially my notebook only supports 4gb ram on each slot, but here I am using a 8gb RAM on a single, so it would work fine by using 2x8gb

So, try checking if it would be better to you to use 8gb (2x4) plus a good SSD to see if it gets better performance, or why not, if you find a RAM seller that accepts returns (even opened) test 2x8gb to see if its better to you, and if it boosts performance, keep the config.

Here I also took off my DVDRW (I dont use DVDs anymore and I have an USB DVDRW just in case) and placed a sata caddy inside to have one more HDD inside too

• MattmanCDN

Tinkerer

Hey 

I put 16 Gb in last nite , and its disapointing the mem controller is only single channel but the laptop is faster , I increased the page file from 2GB to 4GB, The R 3 graphics use 1GB so that leaves the system with 11 GB .

The only game I have is BF1942 HD with the SMC AI mod Ver 2 Loads twice as fast. Frame rate is up from 50 to 70 avg  at med settings.

SSD was the first thing I did I had 15 days to try from my computer store and within ten days i was ready to throw this off my 6th floor balcony .I put in a mushkin 240GB g2 550/ 530 MBs and WOW ten times the performance with a clean install of 10 pro, the original WD 1TB blue drive had Win 8.1 , why system builders use this old slow technology for boot drive is beyond me .

I put the old drive in USB 3 enclosure and also bought the caddy for the DVD bay I wonder if two SSDs could run in raid 0 Smiley Happynexus 031.jpg

• MattmanCDN

Tinkerer

Forgot to mention model number is E5-521-48KN A4 6210 APU with balanced power cant change it in overdrive K10stat wont load cant find 10h APU or somthin like that so cpu is 1GHz to 1.8 floating all the time . R3 graphics use 1 GB mem do not see a way to change it in the bios .

• MattmanCDN

Tinkerer

just one more thing i disable page file and laptop is faster still , when you run ssd you really dont need one and mine seems to be faster off.

• crisorlandobr

Cool it worked fine Smiley Happy

So I guess here it will be good too, and my model has dualchannel, so I guess it would be at good performance here too
    The only thing I am not gonna install here (at least now) is a SSD, since good ones are really expensive in my country, so for now, I will keep page file and reayboost inside the SD card (good card, so RW speeds are good)

About installed OS, I think that it was slow because of bloatware and even updating Windows still is slower than a clean install.... Here I updated, but I cleaned all ***** from the old installation and its fine.

About the K10 overclock, search for forums if there is any app that can change your clocks, since I use(d) Brazos Tweaker on my netbook (Acer Ao722, with AMD C-60 and it goes from 1000Mhz to 2000Mhz and no overheating, and when I bought the E-421 I searched overlock for it and found K10, so its possible someone already made an app that allows you to change yours.

About RAID, I really think its not possible, since it looks like they are controlled by different controllers, one for HDD and other for DVD/Caddy, and some notebooks that allow RAID are the big ones (17'+ screen size) that have space for 2 HDDs inside the notebook and even 3 HDDs (2 inside and 1 replacing DVDRW) with the HDD on the caddy not being part of the RAID.
    And even if check the BIOS does not have any RAID config part like you have ou servers, desktops and big notebooks that allows more than 1 HDD.

• MattmanCDN

Tinkerer

I think this bios of mine should be flashed diff for performance mods like oc i would be happy if i could make it run at 1.8 when gaming or at nfl dot com these are low watt apu and are locked down for a reason Smiley Happy...glad to hear your laptop is dual channel as that will be like 20% performance improvement right there.I think you helped me more then i helped you Thanx again.

Matt