Acer aspire e5-575g system interrupts high cpu usage

crazvan
crazvan Member Posts: 4 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello! I bought a few days ago an Acer Aspire E5-575G and after installing Windows 10 with the correct drivers from Acer website, "system interrupts" service it's using cpu at 10-20% all the time and the cpu's frequency stays at maximum 3.1GHz (i5 7200U). When I disable Realtek HD audio from device manager, the service goes to normal. What should I do? I tried new and old driver from Realtek, the problem persists. Need help!!!

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Any antivirus installed?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • crazvan

I use Avast Free AV.

On my other Acer (Aspire E5-572G) I don't have such problems.

• IronFly

Can you please try to uninstall Avast and check CPU usage?

• crazvan

I uninstalled Avast and nothing has changed.

Like I said, if I disable realtek hd audio from device manager cpu usage goes to normal.

• crazvan

Done that.

I installed OS two times with all the proper drivers. I work as an IT tehnician for about 7 years, I have repaired many desktops/notebooks but this problem it's driving me mad, because I can tell if it's a software or a hardware bug.

• IronFly

i doubt it's a software bug, since you already re-installed OS twice and still getting the same issue or it can be something related to a windows update if you connected the laptop to the web.

it looks like an IRQ issue to be honest but i' dont have any ideas on how fix it, apart calling Acer support service, if still under warranty.

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

When your in the system and then in the audio controls- what does the input and output look like? By this I mean does it look like it is seeing input or sending output audio constantly?  Wondering if it is mechnical issue like a shorted audio port or audio on the hdmi line.  Maybe you hear a volume hiss in background from speakers constanly?  Just disableing the audio clears it so how about when say a usb headset or bluetooth audio device is present?  Sorry for so many ideas tossed out there but just narrowing down what it might be.  Does this also show on battery power or only plugged in wall power?

• RichG
    RichG Member Posts: 3 New User

Have a similar problem with an Acer E5-575G, with system interrupts showing about 3% CPU utilization in inactive idling state.  Disabling the Realtek High Definition audio in Device manager will result in the system interrupts dropping to virtually 0% at idle.  Tried to change various parameters in the Sound settings under control panel without luck.  Tried updating to latest driver, without luck.  Updated to most current bios version 1.23 without any change in the system interrupt issue.

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer

Hi,

Try cleaning the fan and repasting the CPU, it may or may not work but worth a try.

• Ariel4
    Ariel4 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Yeap, I'm having the same problem, both with audio and touchpad.

You can fix the Interrupts CPU usage by disabling Device Manager -> System Devices -> High Definition Audio Controller, but then you won't have any sound, so it isn't really a solution. I think we have to wait for a new driver...

^ Btw, brummyfan2's suggestion is completely useless, do not try that. You'll just void your warranty. This is clearly a driver issue, not a CPU heat/fan one.

• RichG
    RichG Member Posts: 3 New User

Yes, I finally narrowed it down to the High Definition Audio Controller also.  When I am on battery, I disable it unless I need audio.

Curiously, when the machine resumes from sleep state, the system interrupts sometimes stay close to zero for a while.  I have been trying to pay attention to which programs will initiate the high system interrupt state.  Opening a web browser will get it going.

• dak2014
    dak2014 Member Posts: 75 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Not sure if this will work but maybe try not to use the HD audio driver? Depending on what you are using. Press Windows + X and click on Device Manager. Then go all the way down to Sound, video and game controllers and double-click (also depending on what you are using currently) Realtek High definition Audio or High Definition Audio Device then go to the top and click Driver then Update Driver > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick... > then also depending what you already have, choose the other option. Try both of them and check if your CPU usage goes down. Sorry if this doesnt help the solution, just trying to help.

• Ariel4

Tinkerer

Sadly, this doesn't work either.

For the HD Audio Controller, I only have one driver to pick from, so I cannot change anything there, but under Sound, video and game controllers, you have either HD Audio Device or Realtek Audio something, depending on the driver you have installed for it.

I have 3 options there, 2 Realtek drivers dated 16-Aug-16 and 17-Mar-16, and both have the same issue.

There is also a generic Microsoft driver called HD Audio Device dated 17-Mar-17, the newest of the three and it doesn't change anything. The difference is that Windows warns you before installing this driver since it isn't sure it is the correct driver and the audio with this driver works, but you cannot use the Acer/Realtek Enhancements under your Sound (Control Panel) -> Speaker properties, you have only the generic ones.

This sucks because I find that the Acer TrueHarmony and Immediate Mode in Enhancements really improves sound quality.

• dak2014

That just doesnt make any sense to me that the sound card gives a high cpu usage.. Never heard about that problem. Have you tried clean reinstalling Windows 10 or Windows 8.1?

• Ariel4

Tinkerer

It has happened to me before with a broken LAN card.

The interrupts don't actually use CPU power, I think. I believe it's just symbolic on how much time is being wasted on the malfunctioning part from all the interrupts caused. Then again, I might be wrong as when the interrupts are high, battery life decreases...

I haven't tried reinstalling Windows, but I have finals in two weeks so that is not possible at the moment...

• dak2014

If you plugin the charger, does it charge or does the % of the battery still go down?

• Ariel4

Tinkerer

Charges normally

• ItsTomi
    ItsTomi Member Posts: 17

Tinkerer

Wow! That's amazing news!

It's not like i already had this laptop repaired (it's whole motherboard swapped) like 5 months ago.

Now apparently my audio controller is broken Cat LOL

• Ariel4

Tinkerer

Yep it's nasty stuff, it's a driver problem and I tried for days to fix it. We have to wait.

But apart from the battery drain, it doesn't cause anything else.

Also, don't even try and "Driver Booster" or whatever those rip-offs are called. They will, at best, do nothing. At worst, they will mess up your Wi-Fi drivers and cause blue screens.

What I learned from this: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you don't want to waste an afternoon searching the internet for solutions, don't touch any drivers that are working fine. I will post here again if I find a solution or a new driver from Acer.