Acer E5-575G-55KK backlit Keyboard?

dima23
dima23 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I'm going to guy this laptop and want to know if it has a backlit keyboard.

I'm choosing between this two modifications: E5-575G-53VG and E5-575G-55KK. Any difference except last one has a newer 7th gen i5?

Best Answer

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,050 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hello,

First both models have the same processor. About the backlit keyboard:

• E5-575G-53VG: Yes
    • E5-575G-55KK: No
    France

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,050 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hello,

First both models have the same processor. About the backlit keyboard:

• E5-575G-53VG: Yes
    • E5-575G-55KK: No
    France
  • dima23

Tinkerer

@ACE Pathfinder laurent_14,

Thank you very mush for the answer. On the market I saw that E5-575G-55KK has i5-7200U cpu.

For me main thing is backlit keyboard too, so I think I'll buy 53VG model.

Also, som write that this model has very bad keyboard. I don't know what they mean under this, but what about keyboard?

• Hello,

You're welcome.

About the specifications, there is no 7th Gen processor:

For the time being, I saw no comments about the quality of the keyboard here. If it was me, I would go to a real store and test it.

France
  • dima23

Tinkerer

Hello,

Thanks again for detailed information.

Unfortunately in my country there is no real store to test it. I've bought E5-575G-53VG modification.

Hope everything will be fine!

• frankieg99
    frankieg99 Member Posts: 2 New User

You should read my recent (only previous) post about Back Lighted Keyboards, specifically E5, in the Fourm: 

"E, F and M Series Laptops" (inserted below)

I have the E5 Back Lighed 575G-53VG, and its back lighted keyboard shuts off by design after 30 secs on non-keyboard use, which CANNOT be changed.  I didn't know that before I purchased.  May have changed my mind...  Also there seems to be a rash of E5's where the Back Lighting just quits all together and those affected, including me, can't get it back on.  Kinda sounds like a harware issue - keyboard replacement???

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Jose, I tried also to send you a message (failed, didn't know I needed to post first), tried to log in (failed, didn't know I needed to register first - I thought that for registering my product which I had already done).  So here I am several hours later with the same ACER Model and Same old problem "Acer Aspire E15 E5-575G-53VG No Keyboard Backlight!".  I purchased 21Sep16.  Backlighted worked from day one with Fn+AltF9 until Fri 16Dec16.  I was typing or something my left hand brushed accross the upper left corner of the Touchpad or the Alt key or the space bar and the Back Light went out and I have not been able to turn it back on since.  Help!  Oh, this may be important, when the E5 was new the backlight stayed on for 30 secs (I hated it - see below).  Towards the end of the Backlighted era they only staying on ~5 secs if I didn't continue typing.

I know you can't fix this issue but I need to 'vent' now that I can post:

• One of my 'must haves' when I shopped for my new Laptop was backlighted keys - love to work in the dark.  I hate to try and find a key to touch in the dark to revive the Backlight, that doesn't affect what I am typing - the shift key works if I can find it in the dark.
    • The ACER E5 had Backlightedn keys as advertised, but little did know that all backlighted keys are not created equal - my little mind CANNOT comprehend my any manufacturer would EVER design a system that shut off Backlighted Keys in 30 secs and then to really stick to us, have no way to change it.  It is just such an arrogrant approch to Power Management that, that, that - just can't comprend it
    • It is not something that is described in any literature a potential Customer would find / read before purchase. It isn't mentioned in the Manual I downloaded this morning
    • I came very close to returning the laptop...  should have but don't know what I would have replaced it with.
    • It's not like it's a big deal to include a way to adjust it - or just let the User decide when to turn it ON and OFF!  Arrogrant!
    • You might say I HATE this feture and because of it, my whole ACER experience is flushing down the toliet...

Again - nothing to do with you Jose - not personal at all.  Just frustrated - something that should be SO SIMPLE.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• dima23

Tinkerer

Well frankieng, I've this laptop about one week (received it by December 10th). Backlit keyboard is working well for me, while writing this post time for me is 01:37 GMT+4 (it's night) and lights on keyboard works like a charm. Yes, it's bad moment that lights turn off after 30 seconds of non-using them. Time can be much less but in my opinion it's matter of habit.

P.S Sorry for bad English.  

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

While officially your statement is true about the 30 sec timer I did find a unofficial way to have it stay constantly on while the system is powered on only. That said they really should open options on keyboard lighting so as to set it off/on delay/full on.  As for how I did this I had to do a mod to the motherboard and it can not be turned off except when powered down (basically hardwired always on) which does invalidate the warranty and I don't mind that.

Pull switching transistor to groundPull switching transistor to ground

Not pretty but works good. The ribbon going under motherboard is the power line for backlit of keyboard plugging into white connector next to heatsink. This feeds ground and 5vdc. (black connector to left is micro sata to sata for extra hard drive meant for dvd normally.)

It operates about like this, the leg I soldered too is pulled low (to ground) when backlite is on allowing power on right to flow to center. When off it floats high switching the center off. By grounding (pulling low) the left it stays in a constant powered on state and ignores the signal to go high or as it were, off. It's a very low current and system suffering no ill effects but again- this does invalidate your warranty but did solve my need for constant backlite.

• Andrew951
    Andrew951 Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi i have the same "trouble" with my notebook could you explain more in detail how to switch on or off the backlit and the keyboard you bought

Thank you in advance for the answer

Andrea

• Trukntigger

Rather an old thread but Fnc9 is the toggle for keyboard off/on. Not all of the e5-575g's have backlighting on keyboard, it is model dependent. Guess you could "upgrade" to one that has it as long as the connector for powering up the keyboard on motherboard is present- note above photo and the connector. As for mod to keep it on while powered up the photo above shows what needs to be done and this is not a factory fix but still works fine on mine months later. (Connector for backlight support is 4 pin in white next to battery reset button (and near soldered mod), in photo you are looking at bottom of laptop and the ribbon feeds under to keyboard)

• Andrew951

Yes infact my notebook does not have this connector i have to solder it on the mobo.

what is the function on the white wire connected to the small transistor?

• Trukntigger

You would need the connector and related circuitry for it to work. The added wire is a jumper to pull the switching transistor to always on state because I wanted the back light always on, that transistor is part of the related circuit.

• Andrew951

Ah ok i understand.

what components i have to buy? is there a list or a link you could pass me?

Any ideas how to replace the yellow tape under the keyboard?

• Trukntigger

I do not have that info nor I do not believe you could just buy the components for that circuit. They would be surface mount soldered and very hard to install if you got the parts. I can tell you this. The keyboard with back light operates on 5volts dc. Makes sense if you got the back light version and installed it you could just feed the 5 volts in manually, no way to toggle but would be always on. The connector is 4 pins, on end is ground, the other 3 are the 5 volt feedss for each section of keyboard. A multimeter and say a few AA batteries at 3+ volts make a good test bed to figure it out. My approach in your case, aquire the back light model keyboard. Multimeter out a 5 volt dc source on motherboard and hardwire that into the keyboard. Key would be the 5 volt source can only be active while system on so as not to drain battery when in off state, again requires a multimeter to figure that out and find a good source point to make connection. PS: no I am not going to probe around mine to find a good spot for you too make this connection, if you can solder and work a multimeter then I assume you have the know how to figure it out.

• Andrew951

ok ok i understand, for soldering it isn't a true problem i work with integrated circuits and i study electronic engineering(i think i can find 5volts trough the mobo)

i was thinking to connect the backlit keyboard wires to a usb and using a switch to make it more easy if i have to unmount it or to switch off.

thank you for patience and for quick answers

• dima23

Tinkerer

@Trukntigger,
    Can you tell what does battery reset button do when pressing on it? What's the need for it.
  • Trukntigger

Battery reset is for times when battery status from partial charge and discharge states ends up misreporting battery level to bios. When this occurs Acer laptops normally refuse to power up. Pressing or resetting the battery normally corrects the issue along with afterwards fully discharging and recharge (power cycle) the battery so system recognizes full and empty state.

• dima23

Tinkerer

Thanks, the answer was informative for me!

• Xyrud1996
    Xyrud1996 Member Posts: 1 New User
    What About E5-575-52DA ?