Acer E5-575 Alt F10 question...

Options
DSA
DSA Member Posts: 10 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi,

I will be installing the OS on a new SSD to my co-workers new Acer Aspire E5-575 laptop.  If I delete/Format the "C" drive (main OS partition) as well as the "EFI system partition" which is 100MB, and KEEP the Hidden/recovery Partition only, will I still be able to use the Alt-F10 feature at bootup to do a factory restore? 

Thanks!

Best Answer

• DSA
    Answer ✓
    Options

Answering my on question since no one provided a valid solution or a valid answer to my original inquiry.  Due this, I just went ahead and installed the OS on a new SSD and setup the original OEM HDD that came with the laptop as the secondary drive.  Then I formatted the Original OS partition on the OEM HDD (now secondary drive).  I left the hidden recovery partition as as well as the EFI system partition on the original OEM HDD (now secondary drive) as is.  Afterwards, I tested to verify if "Alt F10" to get into Acer's Factory recovery console from PC Startup and it worked!!!

So basically, the Alt F10 feature will still work as long as the hidden recovery partition as well as the EFI system partition is NOT touched.  

Answers

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Why not just clone the entire drive to the new ssd? Or are you adding a hard drive to the system switching boot to the new drive? Begs next question, if replacement then just leave old as is on a shelf. If adding as extra drive and making it the main boot I honestly do not know. Not sure if secure boot effects the restore option and if that restore when used will do so too the new ssd or to the source drive of that partition.

• DSA
    Options

Switching the boot to SSD and will be using the hdd that came with the laptop as the secondary drive.  This is why I am asking about this since I want to keep the hidden recovery partion on the original HDD in case I lose the USB recovery drive that I already made. 

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

I would just clone it all too the ssd then wipe the platter drive. While the contents of that restore partition would be valid again I honestly do not know if system would A: default to that drive to restore with f10 and B: restore to the ssd or back to the platter hard drive while if all on ssd I know it works because mine came that way, m2 ssd loaded and I added the regular drive in the open sata bay.

• DSA
    Answer ✓
    Options

Answering my on question since no one provided a valid solution or a valid answer to my original inquiry.  Due this, I just went ahead and installed the OS on a new SSD and setup the original OEM HDD that came with the laptop as the secondary drive.  Then I formatted the Original OS partition on the OEM HDD (now secondary drive).  I left the hidden recovery partition as as well as the EFI system partition on the original OEM HDD (now secondary drive) as is.  Afterwards, I tested to verify if "Alt F10" to get into Acer's Factory recovery console from PC Startup and it worked!!!

So basically, the Alt F10 feature will still work as long as the hidden recovery partition as well as the EFI system partition is NOT touched.