Acer E5-571-50hj keyboard removal for harddisk replacement

Options
dutchArjo
dutchArjo Member Posts: 2 New User

I have the above mentioned notebook for which I have bought a SSD to replace the original harddisk.

I have removed the battery, all the screws on the back, the drive bay and then I want to release the keyboard. But I cannot see how this should be done. It seems impossible.

Is there any instruction on how to do this?

My palm rest / keyboard is in 1 piece. 

image.jpeg

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Options

Hello, What you will need to do and I hope you have said you have moved the CD/DVD drive out alrady. It is held in place by one of the Screws from the bottom....

If all screws are out. Take a Old Credit card, Or if you have the Right tool kit it is a hard plastic tool, Put into the side of the laptop and carefully help seperate the 2 parts.... You will need to do that all the way around the laptop until both halves can come apart. Now be careful becasue there are 2 ribbion cables that have ZIF connectors. You will release the 2 connectors off the MB and remove the Keyboard top. 

Hope this helps some

James

Edit: correction I think there are 3 cables. One is just towards the back of the unit..

• dutchArjo
    dutchArjo Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I now managed to get the top plate with the keyboard in it separated from the laptop case. I have my ssd installed now. But I cannot appreciate the way Acer designed this.
    All the plastic pieces that hold the top plate tight to the notebook case broke when I wanted to release the keyboard. When I put everything back in its place after installing the ssd, I had a huge gap between the notebook case and the top plate. Luckily, after putting back all the screws, the top plate is secured nicely. But this still can be much easier and I now have small visible damages because I had to use some hard plastic tool that damaged the plastic case.
    I won't do this same thing again soon and I will probably not consider a memory upgrade.