Acer E3-111 Windows 8.1 Freezes 3-4 times per session

Options
camerado
camerado Member Posts: 7 New User

HI -

My 3 week old Acer E3-111-P5EP, bought new here in Thailand from authorized dealer, running Windows 8.1 is frigging FREEZING UP at Least 3-4 Times a Session, requiring a hard reset.

Have looked at all forums, updated driver, etc - ANYONE???  

Feel like tossing this thing into the river, I need a lptop that WORKS.

[inappropriate content removed from subject line]

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

i can only suggest you to try to reinstall windows 8.1 using Acer eRecovery.

if even after reinstalling, your E3 still freeze, probably is some hardware issue and you need to contact your seller or Acer support service.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • camerado
    Options

Haven't re-installed yet; have been uninstalling applications in the meantmie.  Problem is I need to keep working and researching, the time it would take to tech the machine will unduly eat into my schedule.  Acer servce center wants 5 days to check it out - also not workable.  

As it is an under $400 laptop, it's not worth the time to tech, and will just eat the cost as a loss and get a new (different) brand.  Too bad - spefically chose this Acer because I had a decent experience with Acer netbooks previsouly.

Will dispose of this machine by blowing it up and filming it with a Phantom high speed camera, then sell the stock fotage to recoup my costs/losses.

Best to all - avoid the E3-111 

• camerado
    Options

Update: have fully reinstalled windows now iwth Acer recovery.  Deleting bloatware. but is freezing now more than ever.  Mind-numbingly frustrating

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Hardware problem, contact the Acer support service.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • camerado
    Options

Hi - 

As the adventure continues, I made one last ditch effort to solve the issue tonight, and while it's still ongoing (still waiting for a freeze), the freeze-up hasn't happened for an hour or so...HERE'S WHAT I DID TO (HOPEFULLY) SOLVE THE PROBLEM:

* I re-installed Windows 8.1 cleanly and completely, Acer-ware and all

* was still hanging and freezing, with or without mouse, even as I was rapidly uninstalling Acerware

* went into startup setup and changed boot order to have HDD first in line - was still freezing

* I continued uninstalling everything, Acer ware, bundled antivirus, etc

THEN, it seems like I started making some progress here ->

* Went into services and manualized all the non-essential services

THEN, I went into the Advanced settings in the POWER CONTROL panel and, on a hunch and some random forum searches, set the Battery mode to be essentially equal to the Plugged in mode - i.e., I disabled the 'USB disable'' function, and did the same to the other advanced services in the advanced power control settings panel.

I re-booted.  So far it hasn't frozen up so, assuming this lasts, I'd say it had something to do with the change in services, or, my hunch, the change in the battery power functions under 'advanced settings'

Hope that's it, as I finish this post it still hasn't frozen up  - knock on wood 

• camerado
    Options

...all that would mean though, that despite having a functionaly machine (my main goal), the power saving panle function is amiss somewhere, assuming that was the problem.  Anyway - as long as it doesn't freeze up, I don't care so much about conserving power, for now at least.

• camerado
    Options

Just a quick related question, assuming my situation is resolved: which of the Acer ware is useful to have back on my laptop?  I removed everything in the process of solving the issue.  Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

• jescott418
    jescott418 Member Posts: 38 Troubleshooter
    Options

Well I can tell that with Windows 7 install on my E3 111 the Touchpad issue is just as bad as those with Windows 8. So if nothing else that probably eliminates the OS. I used a wired basic two button mouse and had no issues. So this shows that most likely the problem is between the Touchpad and the hardware/drivers. From the research I did this Touchpad is some sort of new type which is supposed to allow for more accurate gestures and inputs. Replacing the need for a touch screen. I have tried turning off a lot of the features basically making the touchpad a simply input device. But that does not seem to help the laggy and pausing of the cursor. Even removing the driver and letting Windows install a basic PS/2 driver does not help.

At this point my guess is that either their is a issues with the touchpad, the connection between the touchpad and motherboard or a issues with the motherboard itself. All of which is hardware related. I don't see a driver update fixing this issue completely. If this touchpad is being use in a lot of Acer laptops. You know this problem will get bigger.

• jescott418
    jescott418 Member Posts: 38 Troubleshooter
    Options

Have to update a little. I did a Bios update from 1.19 to 1.29 which I managed to finally find some information saying that the newer bios addresses the Touchpad issues. Unfortunately I only found the bios update to improve the tracking a bit. It did not totally eliminate the pauses in tracking. I did persue further by trying to uninstall the Acer Synaptics driver and install a generic Synaptics driver. Again, I ran into driver signed issues as the generic would not properly install. After all that I find that not using a touchpad driver at all actuallly made the touchpad usable in navigating the cursor. Of course not ideal as you lose scrolling ability and obviously no gestures. Also have noticed left click only works have the time so again. I believe Acer has some real problems with the touchpad.