Acer E1 571 (Core i5 3210M) Win8 Noise Fan(?) + CPU freeze problem

Options
grainblock
grainblock Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello All,

I am encountering the following:

A few minutes after the system startup (either in the POST screen) or after booted into windows, a rather loud humming noise is heard near the CPU/Fan.  

At this point, the computer is not responsive if I start to click on anything on the Windows 8 screen although the mouse will move and programs that is currently running (e.g. video playback), tray icons application such as coretemp continue to run.

When the problem arises, coretemp indicates a CPU temperature of 46C or so and so overheating is ruled out. Also, the CPU speed/usage drops to 1.2Ghz/very low when this 'freeze' occurs.

If the laptop is knocked slightly and as soon as the noise arises, the computer resume normal operation until the noise occurs again in a few minutes.  If the noise is left longer than several ten of seconds, then knocking the computer stops the noise but Windows continue to freeze.

My guess is that this is a hardware problem as the issue occurs both in the POST screen (before entering windows) and after entering windows.  Something causes the CPU be in some sort of semi frozen state plus causing the fan to spin hard.

Anyone seen anything similar ?

Thank you.

Answers

• Clyde
    Clyde Member, Knowledge Author Posts: 420 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Try blowing it out really good with compressed air. If that doesn't fix it, you may try reloading the system. After that, if you still have problems, it is probably hardware failure, and you should try to send it to Acer for warranty.

• grainblock
    grainblock Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks Clyde. Over the next few days it became clear that the noise was actually from a failing hard disk. It is just out of warranty I am afraid so I am replacing the HAD and do a full restore and hope that fix it. Thanks.