Acer E1-570 blank screen after boot

Options
athwyorks
athwyorks Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello

I have seen this question asked a few times on other forums but none of the fixes have worked for me. 2 days ago I had trouble accessing the internet on my E1-570. Windows Explorer kept throwing up a fault and restoring the page. Eventually I loaded Safari and then Firefox and resolved to sort the problem with Windows Explorer some time in the future. This may be unrelated to what happened the next night. Started the E1 and got the usual "Acer, Explore beyond limits" screen and spinning dots, then got the login screen - input password then return. Spinning dots for much longer than usual then blank screen. I can see the cursor arrow so the screen itself must be functioning. Lights on the front are working - AC, battery and HDD. I have had the machine 14 months and it is used exclusively at home so has not been roughly treated. Being so close to the warranty period I will probably argue with the store (PC World) but I thought I would check here first if there is an easy fix. BTW I am no expert with electronics so please keep it simple.

Thanks, Adrian.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

You can try to force shutdown, during boot, 3-4 times (long press power button) until windows tells you that had a problem on booting then:
    From the Recovery screen, click on See advanced repair options.
    Click on Troubleshoot.
    Click on Advanced Options.
    Click on Startup Settings.
    Click on Restart.
    The PC will now reboot to the Startup Settings screen.
    Press 4 to Enable Safe Mode as prompted.
    once booted on safe mode, go to Device manager/display adapter/click driver tab/uninstall
    once uninstall finish, reboot normally
    download latest video drivers from Acer website and install it

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • athwyorks
    Options

Thank you. I'll give that a try tonight and post how I get on.

Adrian

• athwyorks
    Options

Hi IronFly

Thanks for the suggestion which I tried last night. With your help I did get it started into Safe Mode which allowed me to extract most of my important files. I don't know if this indicates that the HD is okay or where the problem may be? I did not find the Device manager screen and ran out of time+nerve regarding finding and uninstalling the the display adaptor not least because in safe mode my machine was not wifi connected so I'm not sure how I would have downloaded new drivers. Are you suggesting that my problem is faulty or corrupted display drivers? At least with my important files saved if I can't fix it myself I can hand it over to someone else to diagnose/fix if it comes to that. I'm happy to keep trying for a bit though.

Cheers, Adrian

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

device manager can be found:

windows key log + x

click on Device Manager

then click on display adapters

right click on your Intel display adapter

click on uninstall

then reboot

the system will reboot normally, so you can download VGA drivers.

I'm not an Acer employee.