Acer Aspire Model M5-581T. Bought with Windows 8. Upgraded to 8.1. BIOS is UEFI?

ejpoleii
ejpoleii Member Posts: 3 New User

I have that model and OS. Having difficulty with battery "not being detected" but if I power on with AC battery shows OK and charged, eventually. Pulling AC results in power off like battery not there but not immediately. Maybe BIOS issue? Maybe driver? How access smart battery? Unit out of warranty. Thanks.

Best Answer

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

Hi ejpoleii

Yes, you should have a UEFI BIOS on your laptop.

Have you tried a battery reset

Answers

• finlux
    Answer ✓

Hi ejpoleii

Yes, you should have a UEFI BIOS on your laptop.

Have you tried a battery reset

• ejpoleii

Thank you. Looks like I do not need to attempt a BIOS update since I have the latest. But...

I tried the battery reset a few times and the battery is still misbehaving. It takes a long time to "be detected" after powering on with AC. It shows a 100% charge but the system powers off (like pulling the plug on a desktop) after a few minutes of battery operation even though there seems to be plenty of charge left. I'm guessing I just have a bad battery unless you have more input.

• ejpoleii

Update. I did some more research and ran across an issue with the unit suddenly powering off. The resolution was to tighten the mounting screws in the base. I did that and, voila! It seems to be fixed. The battery is operating properly. The unit stays up and fully discharges the battery down to 10% with a warning. Battery is recharging. I did note that I seem to be missing one screw. Cheap way to get a replacement?

• finlux

Hey, that's great news!

A replacement? Try your local PC store. Shouldn't be too expensive!