Acer Aspire M5 w/Windows 8 - e recovery system disk won't boot

Options
Spudkitty
Spudkitty Member Posts: 3 New User

My one-year-old Acer M5 failed and now I have a blue screen which reads "The Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information, File:\BCD, Error code: 0xc000000d." I ordered an e recovery disk which was supposed to fix the problem. The instructions say "Insert the disc labeled System Disc," "Reboot the computer and press F12..." When I do this, the System Disc runs for a minute or two, stops, and a minute later the notebook shuts down. I don't believe the System Disk is being accessed at all. My Acer is two months out of warranty ... this is so frustrating. Advice is much appreciated!

Best Answer

• Spudkitty
    Answer ✓
    Options

Just an update ... Blayn was very helpful and directed me to Acer support. The problem was fixed by directing the bios to boot from the disc drive instead of the hard drive. It was a little tricky to accomplish this ... I couldn't have done it without the excellent directions and support from Acer. My Acer has been running fine since, and I appreciate this forum's help!

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Options

I have sent you a private message requesting additional information about your issue.

• mistertime
    mistertime Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

I had to open my machine up and remove the hard drive to get it to boot off of a CD. Of course, Windows doesn't support drive hotswapping, so I'm kinda screwed.

• mistertime
    mistertime Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Care to enlighten the rest of the world?

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Options

I don't have further information to enlighten you with. I requested his serial number, so I could further research the issue he is experiencing. If you can provide a complete description of your problem, I may be able to assist. From your previous post, it seems like you may have a different problem.

• RaginCajun555
    RaginCajun555 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Can someone let me know how I can get a recovery disk? I'm having a similar problem and I don't have the recovery disk to get started.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Spudkitty
    Answer ✓
    Options

Just an update ... Blayn was very helpful and directed me to Acer support. The problem was fixed by directing the bios to boot from the disc drive instead of the hard drive. It was a little tricky to accomplish this ... I couldn't have done it without the excellent directions and support from Acer. My Acer has been running fine since, and I appreciate this forum's help!

• jimN
    jimN Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
     I just received the same blue screen message from my M5 series Acer which was purchased probably around the same time, June of 2013. Do I need to purchase a recovery disc to fix this problem? If so can this be purchased locally as I can not be with out my computer for any length of time since I use it everyday in my livelihood.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give.
  • Spudkitty
    Options

Yes, you will have to purchase the set of recovery disks from Acer. At the time of the problem, there was no digital download available. I would suggest calling Acer support ... they are very helpful, and unless you are particularly computer savy with changing the boot order and, possibly, changing the bios instructions, you will need their direction. The good news is that I haven't had a problem with my Acer since this problem was fixed!

• Kmdbigd
    Kmdbigd Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options

I have an Aspire M and when I boot it I get a screen that states " preparing automatic repair". Then screen goes blue with "Recovery" your pic needs to be repaired. A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed. 

Error code: 0x0000185

you'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media contact your system administration or PC manufacturer. 

I ordered the recovery discs, received them, and when I try to boot the computer it does what I stated at the beginning of this, even after pressing F12. I can't bring up the boot menu. Can you help??? Thanks! 

• IronFly
    Options

So, if you insert a recovery disk, press F12 at boot, choose CD/DVD it won't boot and gives you that error?

• Kmdbigd
    Options

It doesn't even acknowledge the F12 it ignores it and continues to try and boot and goes through the same routine I described so I never get to an opportunity to select cd/DVDs. 

• IronFly
    Options

are you able to enter BIOS pressing F2?

if so check if F12 Boot list is enabled, if not enable it and then press F10 to save and exit.

• Kmdbigd
    Options

Thank you for the response. I was able to access the F2 bio screen but it won't allow me to do anything. Nothing responds. I've tried using the arrows as well as selecting F9 setup defaults. Nothing responds. It's like the screen is froze each time I try it. There is no F12 listed 

• IronFly
    Options

can you please try with an external USB keyboard?

if you can't browse on BIOS menu even with an external USB keyboard, probably there's an hardware issue on the mainboard.

• Kmdbigd
    Options

That worked and I was able to get to F12. It's now running the recovery disks. Thanks for your help! 

• IronFly
    Options

You welcome.

• Kmdbigd
    Options

Well - hit a snag......in the Acer recover management (with the system restore disk in) it asks me to select restore type:

restore red operating system to factory defaults

or

completely restore computer to factory defaults. 

Regarless of of what I select a notice pops up that says: please boot this recovery disc using legacy BIOS mode

i select ok and the notice box disappears and nothing else happens.

what should I do? 

• Kmdbigd
    Options

Not sure where "red" came in. It should have not been there and should have said "restore operating system to factory defaults" 

• Kmdbigd
    Options

So I went back into F2 and changed it to legacy bios saved and exited. Went back to boot and during the load got an error message that this disc can only be used in UEFI mode. Went back into F2 again changed it back to UEFI and then went back to the boot menu and after selecting language had to select the restore choice again. When I did this back popped up the notice : please boot this recovery disc using legacy bios mode. 

Frustrating.......????