Acer Aspire M5 having several problems

Options
johnie4usc
johnie4usc Member Posts: 3 New User

I have no clue what has happened to my laptop in the past week, but several things have stopped working. I own an Acer Aspire M5-583P-6428. My touchscreen randomly stopped working in the last week. I tried going to drivers to update it, but it doesn't show that I even have a driver for my touchscreen anymore. I went to device manager and then to Human Interface Devices and nothing appeared about a touch screen. Also, my webcam stopped working as well. I've tried skyping and the webcam won't show up. I've gone to several different websites and the webcam doesn't show up on any of them when i test it out. However, when I go into the options on Skype and look at my video settings, I can see the webcam and see myself. I just can't get it to work during skype or on any other websites that I'm trying to test it on. Also, I have a notification that constantly pops up that says "USB Device not recognized". The only USB device I have in my laptop is for my wireless mouse. I've taken it out and the notification still continues to come up. I don't know what USB device it's talking about. Also, when restarting my computer it takes a significantly longer amount of time to get past the "Restarting" screen. It used to take a few minutes, now it just sits there for 15 minutes or so. I'm wondering if it was a random windows update that messed everything up, but I really don't know what to do about it. 

edit: to make things more confusing, I can open up the camera app and my webcam works perfectly fine.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi,

You could go to Control Panel, System and Security, Security and maintenance, Recovery and see how many System restore points in System restore. If you find one when everything was fine, select that point and do a system restore.

• johnie4usc
    Options

Okay, I did that. The last system restore points were on November 28, November 21, and the 13th. It says the only affected programs in that time period were Skype and RealTime. There's a chance it could fix my skype problem (though it's clearly not just related to skype since the webcam doesn't show up on webcam test sites), but I don't see how it would fix the USB Device not being recognized notification and the touch screen not working at all. 

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi,

If you don't want to do a system restore, try this, open command prompt as Admin, type  sfc /scannow and press enter. This may fix damaged system files.

• johnie4usc
    Options

Sorry for the late response. It was finals week. I ran the scan and when it got to 100%, it says "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." Any advice on what to do next? A post on another website says that my touchscreen problem may be caused by a loose wire in the computer that is relatively easy to fix.

• brummyfan2
    Options

Yes, if it's a hardware problem, try fixing it by yourself or get it done by a Technician.