Acer Aspire M5 581T locked up at Log In screen due to UEFI Settings?

okstout4
okstout4 Member Posts: 2 New User

ALMOST SOLVED...

I have an Acer Aspire M5 581T Ultrabook. This past Friday, I went into the UEFI Firmware settings, and since I got out I have been unable to get back into my computer. I did NOT make any changes to any settings while there and I chose ESC to get back out. Once the computer rebooted, I was back at my login screen as usual. But when I key in my PW, it immediately takes me to a dark blue screen w/my icon photo directly in the middle of the screen. If I select the photo, it takes me right back to the log in screen. My only options are to Sleep, Shut down or Restart.

So far I made an ISO file so I could create a bootable UEFI USB flash drive to be able to boot from it, but it wont boot from it because I learned that you have to tell the computer to boot from the USB drive. That cant be done because I cannot get back into my computer. I also was looking into creating a recovery disk/flash drive. I created the recovery flash drive, but it failed to boot from it too (im assuming because the computer does not know to boot from it). I cant create a recvoery disk because its Win 8.1 and it doesnt do it for this version.

The reason I found the UEFI Firemware file was because I was looking for a way to do a system restore on that laptop. In Advanced there should have been several options for me to choose from and one of them should have been System Restore. There was no Troubleshooting Option, for which Ive seen on screen shots the last few days. I only found UEFI Firemware Settings. I just figured System Restore might be there, thats why I went into it in the first place. When I saw that it obviously was not where I wanted to be I chose ESC to get out. I recall it asking me "Are you sure you want to Exit w/out making any changes?". I just chose the default Yes.

I just absolutely do not understand how going into that screen and ESC out had severaly messed up my computer. It just does not make any since at all. I even saw a forum where they explain how to go in there, make changes and how to exit out.

Please help me get this computer back up to running again. Im thinking there is a simple solution, but Im just not finding it. Ive tried re-booting and pushing the Delete key, nothing. I tried hitting the F10 key, nothing. I tried the F8 key as well. Nothing. There has got to be a way to get it out of the log in screen.

Thank you

Tina

IMG_0778.JPG

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

If you want to factory reset your notebook, just press ALT+F10 at boot and it will start to Acer erecovery.

if you want to try a system repair and boot from USB, press F12 at boot and choose the USB pen, by the way remeber that the USB bootable device must be UEFI compatible to be able to boot.

or

if you press shift key and click on the power button on the bottom right of your screen, are you able to go to advanced options?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • okstout4
    okstout4 Member Posts: 2 New User

I didnt want to do a facotory reset, but that may be all that is left to do.

Yes, I am now able to get to the Advanced options. And no I cannot do a System Restore or a Repair, I keep geting error messages.

Im going to try to back up my computer, then do a reset and see if I can get it to do that. If not, its going to the shop I guess.

Thanks

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

You can try to force a system repair on reboot.

it will take some forced shutdown so: when on the log in screen, do a long press to the power button on your laptop then reboot and do the long press power button on log in screen again.

repeat until windows says there's a problem on your system and try to repair it, do the repair and wait until it tries to reboot to log in screen.

I'm not an Acer employee.