Acer Aspire M5-481TG mSata SSD data loss after shutdown

Options
kamasakkizz
kamasakkizz Member Posts: 5 New User

Laptop: Acer Aspire M5-481TG (Bios V1.15, updated from V1.1)
mSata SSD: Liteonit LMT-128-M3M
SSD is first in boot order, I have also tried every other boot order but nothing works.
I have also tried resetting BIOS settings.
Issue:

If I install Windows 8.1, everything goes perfectly and Im able to boot into windows after installation. At first boot, all updates install correctlý. Chdsk, crystaldiskmark/info and every other possible hard drive health check program shows that the harddrive is in perfect condition and functioning at full speed.

Rebooting works, if I reboot the computer it always goes to windows. BUT, BUT if I shut the computer down and try starting again, it never boots back to windows, never. "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

I can never boot back to windows if I shut the computer down. I can only restart after installing Windows 8.1 64bit, so restarting works and windows loads after installation. After shut down, I can never get back to Windows.

Also, if I insert the USB/DVD of Windows 8.1 in and go into the setup, it says that the hardrive is 120 gigs of UNALLOCATED space, it doesnt show any partitions or anything else and system recovery, system repair and nothing else works. Its like everything simply disappears, all the content from the drive disappears.

Also, I think this is worth noting as well: I had windows 7 installed before, and after shutting it down one day it wouldnt boot back up, so I had to rescue the drive with test disk in linux, for some reason the drive had gone to raw data I guess and I had to do all kinds of things with test disk to be able to recover all the files and I did so successfully.

TLDR: I install windows 8.1, can boot into it and install updates, restart as many times as I want. BUT, if I shut the computer down, I can never boot back to windows. It says "No bootable device". Have tried every possible boot order and whatnot. No option to change UEFI/LEGACY in Bios either. Have tried both, AHCI and IDE.

Thanks in advance guys!

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Symptom

Table corruption may cause the error message, No bootable device -- Please restart system. This may appear on notebooks with solid state drives (SSD) after an unplanned shutdown.

Resolution

This can be corrected using the following steps:

1. Power on the computer and press F2 to enter the BIOS.
    2. Leave the system idle in the BIOS for 10 minutes.
    3. After 10 minutes, press F10 and select Yes to save and exit.
      1. Precaution Do NOT press the power button to exit the CMOS.

Once the tables are synchronized, the computer should boot properly.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • kamasakkizz
    Options

Hello,
    I havent found any way to check the firmware version of the SSD, neither have I found any firmware update for the SSD anywhere. Ive googled and checked Acers website, but without any results. The only thing I found was a firmware on Dells website and I tried installing it, but the installation said it doesnt recognize any drivers where the firmware could be installed to.

Have you ever heard of an issue like this where the data gets corrupted everytime the machine is shut down. The data doesnt get corrupted if I only restart the computer.

• kamasakkizz
    Options

Also, thanks for the BIOS tip. Ill try it right away and will report back whether or not it worked.

• IronFly
    Options

Yes, i've heard it when the shutdown is too fast, this can happen; a SSd firmware update can fix it but also the BIOS trick.

let me know if it works.

• kamasakkizz
    Options

Heya,

I let it be in the BIOS for a little over 10 minutes then after that I pressed F10 and pressed YES, still nothing. I get "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key".

Should I try the BIOS trick again or is there something else to be done?

• IronFly
    Options

try another 2-3 times, if it will not fix the issue, i would re-install windows, then at first noo bootable error, i would try the trick (maybe wait 20 minutes).

• IronFly
    Options

have you tried the DOS or windows version to flash the firmware?

• kamasakkizz
    Options

I have tried the WIndows version. Is there a difference?

• IronFly
    Options

i always prefer to use DOS version firmware tools if possible, they can bypass some issues like not found device.