Acer Aspire ES1 533-P14T _Windows 10 Shows More Memory Than What Was Installed

Options
Gadget_Lover
Gadget_Lover Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

Hello.  On Feb. 9, 2017, I bought a brand new Acer Aspire ES1 533-P14T, 15" laptop that Acer advertised as having 6GB of RAM (which I naturally assumed was installed memory).  Wouldn't you?  I had never seen a laptop having 6GB of physical RAM so yesterday, I carefully took off the back cover and to my amazement, the sticker on the ADATA AO1L16BC4R1-BQSS RAM circuit board read "DDR3 4GB 1600MHz Adata 1.35V". I noticed that there was ONLY one slot (bank) available for holding a RAM circuit board and not two slots (banks).  In the future, if I were to upgrade the memory from 4GB to 8GB (which is the maximum) for this laptop, I would buy one 8GB RAM circuit board and sell the original 4GB RAM circuit board.  I surfed to ADATA's Taiwan based website and this company only manufactures 2GB, 4GB and 8GB RAM circuit boards, and NOT a 6GB RAM size.

Well, Windows 10's system information said "Installed RAM - 6GB (5.83 useable)".  How can that be?  How can Windows 10 show more memory than what was installed?!  So, I ran the program CPU-Z and its Memory tab showed the Memory Size as being 5970 Mbytes (i.e. 5.97GB).  However, the SPD tab showed Module Size as being 4096 Mbytes (4.096GB).

I phoned Acer's Technical Support and this rep told me that I should disregard the ADATA sticker showing 4GB RAM memory size and just accept Windows 10's system information which showed 6GB of RAM as being the correct memory!!!  Is Acer legally correct in their depiction of this laptop having 6GB of RAM because Windows 10 said so?  Is that 2GB of memory in excess of the 4GB installed considered virtual memory? 

I said to that Acer dude that I am returning this 4GB RAM laptop that was touted as having 6GB of memory for a full refund.  He didn't seem to care.

Best Answer

• Gadget_Lover
    Answer ✓
    Options

Jordan, you're a lifesaver!  You explained it so clearly.  I wonder why that Acer Tech dude and the salespeople at Radio Shack didn't use the terms "on board memory", "2GB of RAM was soldered to the motherboard", "only one bank/slot", etc., with me?

One final question: If I was to take out the 4GB RAM chip and substitute it with a brand new 8GB RAM chip which then gives me a total = 2 + 8 = 10GB of RAM, will my Acer laptop be able to handle 10GB total even though the specifications say 8GB maximum?  I like to know ahead of time before I purchase an 8GB RAM chip from crucial.com.  Thanks!

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Windows is correct.  You have 6 GB.  There's two GB of ram soldered to the mainboard that CPU-Z is unable to detect.

It's fairly common for many new laptops to have 2 GB or 4 GB of memory soldered to the mainboard (on-board memory).  It's not virtual memory. It's real memory.  

That's all I know.  Smiley Happy  Good luck!

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/aspire-es1-533

Here's your computer's memory specs:

2gbob.PNGmemcon.PNG

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Gadget_Lover
    Answer ✓
    Options

Jordan, you're a lifesaver!  You explained it so clearly.  I wonder why that Acer Tech dude and the salespeople at Radio Shack didn't use the terms "on board memory", "2GB of RAM was soldered to the motherboard", "only one bank/slot", etc., with me?

One final question: If I was to take out the 4GB RAM chip and substitute it with a brand new 8GB RAM chip which then gives me a total = 2 + 8 = 10GB of RAM, will my Acer laptop be able to handle 10GB total even though the specifications say 8GB maximum?  I like to know ahead of time before I purchase an 8GB RAM chip from crucial.com.  Thanks!

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

According to the spec sheet, your computer's memory controller can only handle a total of 8 GB.  

If you install an 8 GB ram module, then you will have 8 GB of ram......not 10 GB.  

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Vicky007
    Vicky007 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Options
    Hey guys 

My Acer aspire Es1 533 contains 2GB ram

I want to insert new DDR3 8GB ram in my empty slot does it support 

Actually 2 + 8 = 10 GB ram 

Does it working 10GB ram in my Acer aspire es1 533?
  • manigajan
    manigajan Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I've bought Acer aspire es1-533-C6GY last week from acer authorized dealer sri Lanka. I am trying to install Linux Mint and ubuntu many time but the installer freezing while installing uefi boot loader. Please give me a valuable solution for this problem. Because I am teaching linux for last 5 years. ( I think this problem was the bios set default in UEFI mode enabled, but I unable to change it.).
  • Emma_2001
    Emma_2001 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    JordanB said:

According to the spec sheet, your computer's memory controller can only handle a total of 8 GB.  

If you install an 8 GB ram module, then you will have 8 GB of ram......not 10 GB.  

I installed an 8GB RAM module, i have 10 GB of RAM