Acer Aspire ES1-512 won't upgrade to Win10 from Win 8.1 because most Win8.1 updates fail to install!

Options
tstaddon
tstaddon Member Posts: 4 New User

I purchased an Acer Aspire ES1-512 new, with Windows 8.1 on it. It arrived last week. I've added no other apps to it.

I disabled the Windows 10 update and have tried repeatedly to get the 8.1 updates installed. All of them download fine but about 30 fail to install no matter which order I try to apply them in - and yes I have disabled the antivirus, firewall etc. Unfortunately this seems to include the updates that Win10 thinks are pre-requisites for an in place upgrade. (Microsoft are so stupid, they enable the Win10 update before applying the pre-reqs so the ruddy thing downloads itself, tries to install itself, and fails before you even get the chance to stop it).

I have used the Windows 10 ISO on other machines and know how OEM preactivation works, so I could just flatten it and do a clean install, but I want to keep a couple of the apps that ship with the laptop, and I've had so many dodgy experiences with other laptops where the factory install included undocumented tweaks for the power settings and file level optimizations that you just can't replicate when performing an ISO install.

Can anyone advise me on what to do here? Ideally, a script applying the updates / removing updates to get to a point where Win10 will install properly as an upgrade.

Answers