Acer Aspire ES1-511 Plugged in, Not charging ~~ Orange blinking light

Options
Cheeses
Cheeses Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited April 23 in 2019 Archives

I have an Acer Aspire ES1-511 and the orange light (charge light) is blinking and when I unplug the charger the laptop shuts down and wont turn on unless I plug it back in.

Also, when I plug it in, it says "Plugged in, Not charging"

If anyone could help me, that would be great!

Best Answer

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,095 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Unfortunately you have to replace the battery. I give you the part numbers of the original batteries:

Spoiler
    KT.00403.015BATTERY.4CELL.3560mAh (Sanyo)
    KT.00403.023BATTERY.4CELL.3220mAh (Sanyo)
    KT.0040G.002BATTERY.4CELL.3220mAh (LG Chemical)

You can request a quote and place an order from your Acer store by chat or by phone.

France

Answers

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

Have you tried resetting the battery using the pinhole reset button located on the bottom?

1. Shut down your laptop
    2. Wait few minutes
    3. Follow this procedure
    France
  • Cheeses

Tinkerer

Options

This doesn't seem to be working. I followed what you linked me to and when I plugged the charger back in it started blinking again.

• laurent_14
    Options
    1. Is the original battery? How many years?
    2. Have you upgraded recently from Windows 8.1 to 10?
    France
  • Cheeses

Tinkerer

Options

It is the original battery and I've had it for 1 year and 3 months.

And no, I still have W8.1

• laurent_14
    Options

Ok we will try another thing tomorrow. Good night!Smiley Happy

France
  • Cheeses

Tinkerer

Options

Alright, gnite

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

2. Try this:

1. Start up your laptop
    2. Press [F2] when you'll see the Acer logo
    3. Press [F9] to load the default settings
    4. Press [F10] to save and exit
    5. The laptop will restart automatically

Do a charge test.

France
  • Cheeses

Tinkerer

Options

This doesn't seem to be working either :/

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

3.Try this under Windows:

1. Press Windows key+X and click on Device Manager
    2. Expand "Batteries"
    3. Select "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery"
    4. Right click and uninstall (Don't close Device Manager)
    5. Click on "Action" and "Scan for hardware changes"
    6. "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" should be reinstalled
    7. Close Device Manager and make a charge test.
    France
  • Cheeses

Tinkerer

Options

I've done everything but I don't know what you mean by a charge test ?

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

A charge test means put the battery in charge.

Do you  still have the blinking orange indicator or the message Not charging?

France
  • Cheeses

Tinkerer

Options

Ok, that's what I thought it was.

And yes, the orange light is still blinking and it still says "Plugged in, Not charging"

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,095 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Unfortunately you have to replace the battery. I give you the part numbers of the original batteries:

Spoiler
    KT.00403.015BATTERY.4CELL.3560mAh (Sanyo)
    KT.00403.023BATTERY.4CELL.3220mAh (Sanyo)
    KT.0040G.002BATTERY.4CELL.3220mAh (LG Chemical)

You can request a quote and place an order from your Acer store by chat or by phone.

France
  • Cheeses

Tinkerer

Options

I knew it...

Well, thanks for helping me!

• rjh12123
    rjh12123 Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited November 2019
    Options

Had the same issue on my Aspire ES1-711 and tried every possible solution suggested around the web. Draining, recharging, and recalibrating the battery worked for me. Detailed method here: 

https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/solution-laptop-plugged-in-not-charging-in-windows-7-8-10.460627/

Or here:

ALTERNATE SOLUTION - battery needs to be fully drained, then recharged, and thus recalibrated to the operating system.

I had this same issue on my Acer Aspire ES1-711 laptop with "non-removable battery" - system reported battery at "0% plugged in, not charging". However this proved to be a software/operating system issue and the battery was fine (I was still able to boot and operate Windows 8 with my AC adapter disconnected).

I tried every solution recommended on various forums from Acer to HP to Dell - most of which focused around uninstalling the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" driver, disconnecting the battery, discharging residual power, rebooting, etc. My laptop's battery is "non-removable" so I even removed the bottom of the laptop case to inspect the battery and attempt solutions requiring battery removal (cable disconnect, rather than using the pinhole button on this laptop model). NONE OF THE COMMON SOLUTIONS WORKED FOR ME, though it's possible they played a role in part since I did attempt them first. I'll add a note about that at the end. 

WHAT WORKED FOR ME:
    - change power settings in Control Panel to not shutdown/sleep/hibernate on battery power, then set critical battery power shutdown to 5% so battery can nearly fully drain.
    - [OPTIONAL 2nd STEP] This might be the time to uninstall the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery Driver in Device Manager - DO NOT SCAN FOR HARDWARE CHANGES AFTER DRIVER UNINSTALL COMPLETES
    - disconnect AC adapter - Windows might shutdown/sleep/hibernate immediately if it thinks your battery is low/critical, if so leave AC adapter disconnected then reboot and run on remaining battery power (even if meter reports 0% as mine did). If Windows did shutdown/sleep and you had to reboot, the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery Driver may reinstall itself upon reboot. Check Device Manager to confirm it is still uninstalled or uninstall again if necessary. 
    - let battery discharge to 5% and Windows shutdown automatically. I recommend leaving it shutdown and disconnected from the AC adapter for an additional hour. 
    - reconnect the AC adapter and allow the battery to charge with the laptop still powered OFF for about 2 hours or until mostly charged. 
    - [SECONDARY ISSUE] At this point I actually booted to a BSOD with error code 0xc000021a and had to resolve that issue separately before I could boot to Windows normally to check on the battery issue. If you have this issue as well, my solution was to tap F8 at boot to get to the Start-up Recovery Menu, booted in Safe Mode, ran Command Prompt and scheduled Chkdsk c: /r for next boot, then rebooted. After chkdsk completed I was able to boot to Windows 8 normally.
    - Boot to Windows normally and the battery should now be charging and reading correctly in the system tray. 

As I mentioned, I had tried a variety of commonly suggested solutions before draining/charging/recalibrating my battery seemed to be the correct solution. Consider adding parts of those solutions to your method as well if you still have issues and are certain both your battery and AC adapter are not defective.