Acer Aspire E5 random crashes during runtime and start-up, Ubuntu 14.04.2 through 15.04(current)

Options
Edge-Case
Edge-Case Member Posts: 10 New User

Machine: Acer Aspire E5

Symptoms:

1) I can only boot up into Ubuntu (Any Linux distro for that matter, but Ubuntu has a shim for the UEFI "secure boot") some of the times, as in it is indeterminable if a boot up will succeed, it does sometimes, but not others. Windows always works and has no problems, it seems as if I am being forced to use a particular OS.

2) When booting up into Ubuntu is successful, about 1/3rd of the time, I can operate for an indeterminable amount of time before the computer crashes on me, its like the CPU looses the Kernel or something, everything will stop working, the screen will no longer update, and my disks and fans in the laptop start to spin at full speed, it will hang there indefinitly until I use the power button to shutdown, then boot back up.

On other Linux distros the symptom is almost identical, with the exception that the screen goes black, then the fans start to spin at full speed for about 30 secs, then the fans go off, then they will eventually come back on for 30 secs, and cycle like that forever. If I had a video of this occuring you would see what I mean. I have lost my work several times due to these random crashes.

I can't blame Linux, it boots fine on other computers and on VMs, as well as with my last Acer PC, but this make/model is poo poo, It really makes me regret buying Acer again. I am glad I got warranty this time, if I learned anything from Acer, its to always buy insurance.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

probably is some kernel trouble, maybe an hardware combination that let the E5 crash or hang/freeze.

i suggest you to write about it, in the Ubuntu community board, maybe there's a fix to your issue and will help other E5 users too.

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=331

remember to always post logs if any available on linux community.

I'm not an Acer employee.