Acer Aspire E5-571 cant install OS, missing drivers

Tripps
Tripps Member Posts: 8 New User

So I'm only halfway tech savvy and I screwed up. Rather than running a dual boot option, I decided I didnt want Windows anymore and installed Linux Mint 18. All was fine, love it, all the way up until I decided I wanted to install some of my games onto my laptop. Didnt realize how complex trying to install things to Linux are, and its a bit over my head. Anyway, to the problem. I'm trying to reinstall Windows, but keep getting an error message that some drivers are missing. I have found and saved all my chipset and controller drivers to USB drive, loaded them on prompt, but apparently those arent the ones causing the problem. I was thinking maybe my storage controller driver, or the HDD driver itself, but I cant seem to find either of those anywhere, without installing a windows driver update program, which obviously won't work, as I'm running Linux. Hope someone can help. Thanks.

Answers

• JMaier
    JMaier Member Posts: 20

Tinkerer

How (from DVD USB?) and which version of windows 10 (1511,1607,1703) are you trying to install? Does Win10 abort the installations process or when does the fail occure? Are you installing Windows via UEFI or from Legacy (Bios) mode?

I myself had problems on my E5-571g to install a fresh Win10 from UEFI likly because of secure boot. So I disabled secure boot in the bios. And installation was successful. 

• Tripps
    Going from DVD, as Linux has problems with writing a bootable USB for Windows. I tried UEFI first, and got an unspecified error and it just said to restart. So I switched to Legacy, and that was where it specified missing drivers and gave me the option to load them from USB before installation. I also can't access the option to turn secure boot off in my BIOS. I thought about trying the Bios updates that are available here on the website, but I've heard a lot of horror stories from things like that, and I don't want to end up bricking my computer.
  • Tripps
    I also tried making a Windows XP Black Edition disk, which can only be ran through Legacy, and got the same error.
  • JMaier

Tinkerer

So which version of windows?

I installed the latest Win10 1703. I had 3 devices that were not correctly installed but I could actualize the drivers for those devices in the device manager after the Win10 installation process.

At least for my type of e5-571g i found only bios updates that can be executed within windows. Updating my bios to 1.32 went without any problems.

• Tripps
    I downloaded the Windows 10 x64 from the Microsoft website
  • JMaier

Tinkerer

Installation process will abort wihout these drivers?

• Tripps
    It doesn't even get started on 10. Starts and aborts on XP
  • Tripps
    A friend mentioned the hard drive being in a different format style with Linux. Is this correct, and if so could that be causing it to read as the missing driver error?
  • Tripps
    To fully clarify my question: If my entire hard drive is formatted in EXT-4, could that be causing a failure in communication between windows setup files and hard drive, causing it to believe that there is a missing driver instead?
  • JMaier

Tinkerer

I would say Y-E-S.

• Tripps
    Well alright then. Luckily partitioning is made pretty simple with Linux. I will be trying that when I get off work later and will update on whether or not it works. Thank you for your patience and assistance.
  • Kunalshah1
    Kunalshah1 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I recently upgraded to windows 10 from 8, and my bluetooth and netflix are not working correctly. Is there anyway this can be fixed?, at the same time my atheros drivers were automatically deleted?