Acer Aspire E5-551G Bios Update

sparked
sparked Member Posts: 24 New User

Greetings,

I've been working with my laptop and noticed a few things. It's always ran rather warm, especailly when playing games. So I didnt think much of it since it is very thin, I just limited how long I'll run heat generating applications anyways long story short, someone suggested that part of my problem may be a bug and a bios update might fix it. So after going to the Acer site, I discovered there are infact 2 bios updates for the E5-551G models, one dealing with thermal State functions and another for improved system performance. 

So I think it'd probably be beneficial to update my bios, however I also know a botched update can brick your laptop.

Is there a way to backup my current Bios and restore it should the update be a failure?

Do I need to do the updates sequentially or will just doing the last one bring me up to speed?

I do not want to brick my laptop. So some advice on this matter would be very appreciated.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

You can flash the latest without doing sequentially, so flash 1.11.

about brick and BIOS backup:

brick is very rare if you follow stricly the instructions, if it bricks....Acer service will fix it or you can try to follow some online instructions, but it can't be talked here.

as far as i know, Acer BIOS flasher doesn't backup the old BIOS

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • sparked

Thanks for the reply, Ironfly. I'll go ahead and flash the bios when I get home. It's good to hear that it's rare, seems all you really hear about are the horror stories, which lead to paranoia. I just downloaded the latest update thinking that, but I figured I'd better leave no stone unturned when doing something that could potentially cuase a bigger problem than I started out with. Also good to hear if for some reason the unspeakable occurs, Acer will help remedy it.

• sparked

Updated the Bios no problems. We'll see if this fixes anything. My initial thought was it worsened, but I'll give it some time. It might just be an extra hot night resulting in it running warmer.  Thanks again.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    You welcome. Smiley Happy
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • motosega
    motosega Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi i have an acer aspire e5-551g-x729

• motosega
    motosega Member Posts: 2 New User

and i am at moment playing heroes of the storm. This laptop is not really good for gaming as asus or toshiba, and it will be great if u let me know if that bios upgrade making your pc working better now Smiley Happy