Acer Aspire E5-523-6366 Color Banding Issue On Screen

Options
Nexcro
Nexcro Member Posts: 5 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives

There's a color banding issue with this laptop. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'm sure it's not just my laptop, the problem is the with the model as all other people who've bought this laptop complain about the bad screen quality. The color banding shows up only on the screen, not on TV's or other monitors, so it's probably not the video card's fault. I think it's a problem in the BIOS since my other Acer laptop had a problem with noise on the screen, Acer released a BIOS update to fix it and it worked. Everything's good with this laptop except the screen quality. Please help, the color banding is annoying and ruins the experience of this amazing laptop. 

Laptop:

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/model/NX.GDPAA.001

Answers

• FerchogtX
    FerchogtX Member Posts: 61 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

Weird... I got a E15-553-1786 and I have this problem too... except is worse, because it looks like a 16bit color depth thing... I mean... It's supposed you see some banding in this screens (seems every PC manufacturer is now switching to the cheapest thing possible), but it sucks when they either forget to implement a decent dithering + FRC... or just the screen comes with a problem.

Probably see if you are under waranty and send it to service?

• Nexcro
    Options

It was the BIOS fault. Acer just released a BIOS for it to fix it. It does work, but it dosen't work fully. Most of the color banding is gone, but it's still there a little bit, example in videos and games, but everywhere else it's gone. The screen still dosen't look sharp like other Acer laptops I have. They still need to improve the BIOS a lot. What makes it even worse is that with the new BIOS installed the laptop beeps non stop when u put it to sleep, so now I have to shut it down everytime.

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Options

Very sorry to hear the BIOS update did not completely fix the issue. Can you please provide a screen shot that shows the current color banding, so I can investigate further?

• Arturo_Guerra
    Arturo_Guerra Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Where can I find this BIOS update? I have the same banding problems with my Aspire E15 E5-553-1786 and it ruins every picture with a dark gradient.

• Nexcro
    Options

Screenshot_2017-03-17-20-02-49.pngScreenshot_2017-03-17-20-04-26.pngScreenshot_2017-03-17-20-05-06.png

Sorry for late reply. Look closely at the images to see the colour banding. This colour banding appears with BIOS v1.13 installed.

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Options

Thanks for providing the screenshots. At this time, there is not a newer firmware that I can point you to. My best suggestion would be to have the system serviced, to see if the issue is related to a hardware problem with the LCD or other factors. If you send me a private message, I can have someone from our support team contact you to assist with getting this set up.

• Arturo_Guerra
    Arturo_Guerra Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks a lot.

There's definitely some banding left after the BIOS update, but at least is not nearly as noticeable as it was before. That’s actually such a big relief, as it was the only thing keeping this laptop from being super good. Hopefully in the future a new update will come out to eradicate the problem completely.  

• Amorosofe
    Amorosofe Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I trying to use the fix here did download the link above now laptop not even turn on! Never will buy acer again headache from day 1
  • MClass
    MClass Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have an Aspire E5 523 series. My screen won't stay on like there is a short circuit in it. Keep messing with the screen to have it stay on. Plus the color banding issue.