Acer Aspire E15 E5-521 black screen on start-up? WARRANTY?

Options
bezzzo
bezzzo Member Posts: 10 New User

Hi i am having this issue twice now, i bought the laptop almost a year ago now, i first had this issue after only having the laptop just over 4 months, i got it repaired under warranty and now i am havin the exact same issue. My warranty should be still valid as it's not been a year yet since i purchased the laptop, but it will be in 15 days. Though when i do my warranty check it says my laptop S/N or SNID could not be found due to having exired. I still have the reciept for the purchase to prove the dates. Secondly, should there not be a warranty for their repairs?

Anyway, the issue was never really expained to me when i first had the laptop repaird so i am not really sure what they repaired. The problems i was having then and having now is exactly the same, i experience a total black screen on startup, no logo, nothing. you can hear the fans going etc, led power lights work, but no display. Still no display after trying an external monitor.

The problem in the beggining is intermittant, sometimes it will boot fine after having power it on and off a few times and other times only just blank screen, but as they days pass it gets gets worse and worse no matter how many times i try to reboot, there is always just the blank screen.

Why is this? apparently this problem with acer laptops has been happening for years. It's got to be one of the worst laptops i have ever owned, from the start it's also had problems with the keyboard, some keys you have to press much harder than others and the mouse pad, the right click hardly ever works, it just clicks the left click all the time.

anyway, can anyone help ith my issue with the black screen on start-up? and not to mention, i am overseas from where i originally bought the laptop if i can get warranty.

I dont know what to do, i desparately need this laptop.

any help would be great, cheers

Jeremy

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

For your serial number try this. Open a command prompt as Admin. Type wmic bios get serialnumber. 

• bezzzo
    Options

My serial number is NXMLFSA007**** it's the same number printed on the laptop. doesn't work in the warranty check either.

SNID is ***

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, serial numbers, etc.]

• philetus
    Options

Are you sure those are zeros and not o's?

Try the SNID.

• bezzzo
    Options

Yes, definitely zeros.

I have tried both SNID and S/N priviously, double checked all numbers. No luck, says either the serial or SNID is invalid or out of warranty.

• philetus
    Options

I'll bet Acer has it listed as out of warranty already.

• bezzzo
    Options

Yeah i was thinking the same. Though it shouldn't be, they give a 1 year factory warranty, i purchased it on the 2/11/14 . I know it's quite close to that date, but it's still not 1 year, not to mention if they have listed it as out of warranty then it may have been like that for quite some time.

They give 1 year warranty, i expect them to honour it, especially since it's the same problem previously as before. 

• philetus
    Options

Warranty starts when you finalize the purchase and pay for it.

If you have your receipt, you should be able to get them to honor it.

• bezzzo
    Options

I just rang them back in Autralia, i am in UK at the moment.

They say it's still in warranty but they will only honour the warranty if i take to an acer repair shop back in Australia.. unbelievable.

I did ask them to send me a full report from the last repair. This black screen seems to be quite a common problem, is it something that might be easily fixed do you know?

• philetus
    Options

I don't think there has been a difinitive solution found yet.

Acer probably replaced your motherboard.

When you get the report, I would appreciate if you would let us know the specifics.

Are you going to be able to get it to aus?

• bezzzo
    Options

I wont be able send it back to Australia, i cant wait for it that long, plus it would cost me about $190 to get it there and back. Probably better spending that money to either repair it or upgrade it to a better motherboard maybe, but then again maybe not even worth repairing it, seems some acer laptops only have a 5 month life span.

I will definitely post the report once i have it, though she said she had it there and would email it to me. No email yet, wouldn't be surprised if i dont get it at all, but i will chase it up if they dont send it and i can write a full detailed description of the symptoms if you would like for future reference if someone else experiences the same issue and are looking for help.

Thanks for your help too.

• philetus
    Options

Do they have an Acer service center where you're at?

• bezzzo
    Options

Yeah they do have an acer repair center here, but she said acer wont honour it here because the laptop was purchased in Australia and came with a pre-installed windows that was licensed in Australia.

I'll certainly never buy anything from acer again

• gargss
    gargss Member Posts: 13 New User
    Options
    Hello, Do you have Acer Recovery Media ( USB Boot drive) ? It may help reboot/restore yor laptop , I hope .
  • bezzzo
    Options

No, i don't currently have that.

How would one get that? i will google and see if i can download it.

• philetus
    Options

For Recovery media you would go here and put in your serial number.

https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/?___SID=U

• jLu
    jLu Member Posts: 10 New User
    Options

Really dissapointed here as well.  I have a new Acer Aspire ES 11 and it won't boot past the Acer logo after just a few weeks of use. 

• bezzzo
    Options

Yeah, tell me about it! I just can't believe how bad it really is.

• jLu
    jLu Member Posts: 10 New User
    Options

I hope we can both get some satisfaction from Acer!  I'll be sure to update the community with any progress I'm able to make.

• bezzzo
    Options

Well true to acer fasion, i went to that page and it wont accept either my searial number or SNID just says "We could not find the serial number you entered".

Below where you submit your serial or SNID you can download and Install "the Acer System Information tool on your computer to autodetect your Serial Number or SNID.". I did that it detected the exact same number, also it has a feature where you can copy the detected serial and SNID so to be sure there are no mistakes, i still get the same result "We could not find the serial number you entered".

philetus, i really do thank you for going out of your way to help me, not just helping me, but to everyone who comes to this board in search of answers, though i feel your dedication and talent is wasted here with such a poor company as acer.