Acer Aspire E1-771G Specs & Upgrade

Options
g_oleksiy
g_oleksiy Member Posts: 14 New User

Acer Aspire E1-771G-33128G1TMnii (NX.M6GEU.040)

Motherboard Model: Acer EA70_HC

Motherboard Chipset: Intel HM77 (Panther Point)

Serial number: NXMG6EU004***

What are the options to upgrade?

1. Can I change CPU? If so, what CPU's can be used for swaping? Now it's Intel i3-3120M

2. Can I change NVIDIA videocard? If so, with what videocard it can be swaped? Now it's Nvidia GeForce 710M;

3. What is max amount of RAM and number of memory-slots? Now it's 8GB in total (2x4GB Hynix, DDR3);

4. Is there any room for SSD? If so, whith what interface? SATAII or SATAIII?

If there is a place for only one storage disk, then with what interface? SATAII or SATAIII?

I've been told there is only one, SATAII interface for storage disk. I find it strange because SATAII is pretty old interface in modern enough system and all the SSD's and HDD's now are SATAIII.

Thanks in advance.

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

Best Answer

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,052 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi g_oleksiy,

I confirm the maximum memory amount is 8Gb.

Do you see a connector in the small bay on the right of the actual HDD?

If yes, it's a mSATA slot for SSD SATA 3.0

France

Answers

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

1. The original processors:
      Spoiler
      KC.31101.DMPCPU.I3-3110M.2.4G/1600/35W
      KC.31201.DMPCPU.I3-3120M.2.5G/1600/35W
      KC.32301.DMPCPU.I5-3230M.2.6G/1600/35W
    2. No it is a discret graphic board. All components are directly soldered on the motherboard.
    3. It supports up to 8Gb - DDR3L - 1600MHz so you already have the maximum amount.
    4. I saw two HDD locations and one mSATA slot but I'm not 100%. SATA 6Gb/s so SATA 3.0
      1. HHDs: one on the left and another one on the right.
      2. mSATA: between these location and in the middle
      3. Could you remove the T door on the bottom and check that?
    France
  • g_oleksiy
    Options

Actually I'm not able at the moment to open up T-door but once I've been told that there is no mSATA nor m.2 slot.

Yes, you are correct, there is another bay for 2nd HHD. But it's only bay and no connector up there for second HHD or SSD. So I'm able to place in SSD as replacement of main HDD, and not as addition.

Also HWiNFO64 tells me that :

Drive Controller: Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 3Gb/s

Drive Model: WDC WD10JPVX-22JC3T0
    Meant that SATAIII HDD works at SATAII interface. I'm confused. What is truth?

• laurent_14
    Options

Thanks for this information.

Drive Controller: Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 3Gb/s that means it works at 3Gb/s=SATA II

Hmmm If you read the chipset specifications: Max # of SATA 6.0 Gb/s Ports=2 of 6

1. Do you have the lastest drivers of chipset and SATA AHCI?
    2. Check in the bios setup utility: SATA Mode: [AHCI Mode] in the Main tab
    France
  • g_oleksiy
    Options

Yes, Chipset and SATA AHCI drivers are up to date.

At least - I have taken them from https://account.acer.com/hub/products.do? .

I hope Acer takes care to have them the latest. Otherwise I don't know where to look for them. In BIOS AHCI Mode is ON.

And still the same.

You are reading Intel CHIPset specification.

But often it depents what Manufacturer/Vendor will do with this chipset(this time - Acer).

HM77 is capable of Sata III, however it is up to assembler to decide which port to use (2 or 3)

As result - We have one SATAII interface and one SATAI interface, and no two SATAIII interfaces.

First SATAII is for HDD:

Drive Controller:                                                               Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 3Gb/s

Drive Model:                                                                    WDC WD10JPVX-22JC3T0

ATA Transport Version Supported:                                                SATA 3.0

Second SATAI is for DVD+R DL:

Drive Model:                                                                    MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E1

Drive Controller:                                                               Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s @ 1.5Gb/s

Is there any chance I can put SSD in there as additional disk?

Please consult with manufacturing department and find out.

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

• thommy4love
    thommy4love Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I'm having issues with my acer E1-771-6496 series and it always enters into insyde setup utility and this is getting annoying. Any ideas as to how to prevent this and make it boot normally directly into Windows? Ps, this has been going on since last year and I tried system restore but that didn't work. I need assistance pls
  • Captain_WD
    Captain_WD Member Posts: 39 New User
    Options

Hey there Smiley Happy

My two cents on this: a SSD should provide the biggest boost in terms of responsiveness and general performance (loading and boot times). You can either replace your current HDD with a SSD (I'd check if that voids any warranty that the system might have and would try to avoid cloning your old drive but rather do a fresh install of the OS and the applications) or look for options to replace your optical drive with a Storage drive caddy that can fit your SSD (have in mind that these bays usually have a slower SATA port compared to the storage drive one).

The real world limitation of the SATA interfaces are as follows:
    SATA I: 150MB/s
    SATA II: 300MB/s
    SATA III: 600MB/s
    That being said you can see that it wouldn't really matter if you have your HDD on any of these ports as mobile HDDs rarely go above 150MB/s. You could use your HDD as a secondary drive in such a caddy and place a SSD in the main storage slot. Smiley Happy

I could also suggest checking out WD Blue SSHD and WD Black2 as potential upgrades (depending on your needs and budget) as both a hybrid and a dual drive can give you a great mixture of a speed boost and larger capacity. Smiley Happy

Feel free to ask if you happen to have any questions whatsoever.

Captain_WD.

• g_oleksiy
    Options

Thanks Captain. I'm aware of options you have mentioned. But the question was different from the very beginning: "Is there any SATAIII interface?" You are providing me info from open sources that I can google up myself Smiley Happy Can you tell me where and how I can get real genuine true specs please? Smiley Happy

• Captain_WD
    Options

Well the main storage interface should be SATAII 3Gb/s which means you shouldn't be able to fully utilize a SSD in that slot as it would be limited to about 300MB/s (which is still double the speed of a good HDD). As for the second SATA port that holds your optical drive it wouldn't really matter for a HDD as the HDD would hardly saturate even the SATAI 1.5Gb/s port.

Regarding the RAM, it seems that the maximum supported memory for this model is 16GB (2x8GB). Smiley Happy

Captain_WD.

• laurent_14
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi g_oleksiy,

I confirm the maximum memory amount is 8Gb.

Do you see a connector in the small bay on the right of the actual HDD?

If yes, it's a mSATA slot for SSD SATA 3.0

France
  • g_oleksiy
    Options

No mSATA, no PCI-Express, no SATAIII, this is sad as hell.

Well, have to understand - it's budget laptop and it's easy to overestimate expectations but when I was buying this laptom - I have seen that it's built on HM77Express, so I was thinking it has SATAIII interface.

Now it's huge disappointment to realize it has SATAII only. Knowing that before - I wouldn't consider buying it.

It was hard chellenge to figure out what real spec is.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback.

• g_oleksiy
    Options

When I got this laptop two years ago fans speed was changing depending on cpu load. With low cpu load fans even didn't spin. However, now, even if cpu load is about 2-3% and cpu temperature is at 40C - fans spin pretty well. I'm not able to read any S.M.A.R.T data on fans speed (used SpeedFan and AIDA apps). Changing energy consumption mode (performance, balanced, power saving) makes no impact on fans speed even when cpu load is at 3%.

I wonder how the system manages fans speed if it's not able to read any S.M.A.R.T data related to this issue.

Please advise how to make it back?

Also please take into an account that I have cleaned laptop from dust and changed thermal paste. As well as replaced internal HDD with Samsung 850 Pro SSD.

• Captain_WD
    Options

S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) is used on storage drives such as HDDs, SSDs, SSHDs and other.
    S.M.A.R.T. shouldn't have anything to do with the fans in your system. 

Captain_WD.

• g_oleksiy
    Options

Thanks. Anyway, question is up. How to monitor and optimize fan speed? Not a simgle app finds any fans on the system and reads it's data. I'm stuck.

• Captain_WD
    Options

I'd contact the manufacturer directly for that. You might have some data in the BIOS for the system fan such as the rpm and the temperature sensor.

Captain_WD.

• g_oleksiy
    Options

Thanks, I will.

Because there is no fun-speed data and/or control in BIOS at all. No RPM's of fans, no temperature, no modes.

Motherboard number: EA70_HC
    BIOS version: V2.28
    BIOS supplier: Insyde Corp.

• g_oleksiy
    Options

Where can I have service guide for this model please?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

not available to public. Smiley Happy

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • g_oleksiy
    Options

Why is that? Smiley Frustrated

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options