Acer Aspire E1-571 HD Graphics 4000 Driver

M_Lawson
M_Lawson Member Posts: 11 New User

Hello, I was trying to update the HD Graphics 4000 driver in my Acer Aspire E1-571 and I'm able to get the latest version of the driver working fine from the Acer support page. However this driver is almost 3 and half years old now and dates back from 2012, and with that everytime I encounter an issue with a modern game the support always tells me to update my drivers. The latest driver from the Intel page is perhaps no more than two months old. I'm aware that the driver must come from the OEM for it to be recognised but decided to go for a workaround to see if I could update it anyway.

I tried following the advice from the Intel support page to unistall the driver from Acer and do a fresh re-install with the latest Intel driver instead, however this doesn't work. It seems doing this only allows for the installer to try and install it but fails half way through, as suppose to not trying at all telling me to go to my OEM. It seems that Acer genuneily uses custome software for its driver and so the latest driver must be provided for.

I'm I missing something here, is this really the latest version provided by Acer and could it be possible for Acer to release a more recent version. I've also checked with people that use a HD Graphics 4000 and they don't seem to encounter the same issues that I do when using DX11. None of which are using Acer laptops.

My specs are i5-3210M 2.5GHz with 3.1GHz Turbo boost

8GB RAM DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 4000 Version Number 9.17.10.2867

Best Answer

• M_Lawson
    Answer ✓

I've finally found the solution, you were right to suggest a system reset but that only highlighted the real issue. It was a combination of issues, corrupt hive files, corrupt windows installer files and programme interference. I recommend to anyone that tries this fix to create a Windows easy transfer file and back up registry and licence keys.

First I tried to do a system refresh and then install the driver, even though I updated first it failed and blue screened after the driver installation as it didn't have the Direct X update needed. Which implied that the updates didn't actually save. I opened a restore point to save the system and it perma blue screened then after. The system repair tool wouldn't actually grant me access to the restore point to try again. To get around this I opened Disk part via the command prompt in the advanced bootup repair tool and then forced permissions. To do this I first typed "Diskpart", then "list volume", then select the D drive and C drive by the their volume number. For myself D drive was 0 and C drive 1, then remove their letters and reassign them again so that the main drive is the C drive (even if this doesn't change the volume letters by the end of it, it will still grant you the permissions you need). This is done like so "select volume 0", "remove letter=d", "select volume 1", "remove letter=c", "select volume 1", "assign letter=c", "select volume 0", "assign letter=d". Then type "exit" and "rstrui.exe". Run the restore point from here and you should be able to continue the restore point.

With myself however, the restore point was so badly corrupted it couldn't load up, worse still I wasn't able to do another refresh or reset. I discovered that this was due to corrupted hive files, I renamed them to fix this issue through the command prompt like so, "C:", "cd %windir%\system32\config", "ren system system.001", "ren software software.001", "exit". This then allowed me to perform a system reset.

The first thing I tried to do was to update the system, and again it failed, it constantly needed restarting and wouldn't install anything . After performing a clean boot I realised that this was programme interference by McAfee and after it failed to allow itself to be disabled I uninstalled it completely(I could have updated to see if it would resolve the issue, but at this point I was losing patience). Updates procceded until the end of the first batch. After this the updater was stuck in a loop of always trying to find updates but never finishing. This was due to corrupted windows installer files, to fix this I restarted the machine to make sure the updater was closed and I opened command prompt as admin so I could rename them and force the system to make new files by typing the following. "net stop wuauserv", "net stop cryptsvc", "net stop bits". Then type "ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old", "ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old". Then type "net start wuauserv", "net start cryptsvc", "net start bits" to reactivate the updater and then restart the computer. The updater then worked fine until it hit Windows security update KB2756872, to resolve this I used a manual installer.

Available at Update for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems (KB2756872) - Microsoft then select Windows8-RT-KB2756872-x64.msu (162.8 MB).

After this all updates completed fine, I created my restore points (and a backup restore point just in case) and continued to install the driver manually. It worked first time after fixing the issues. I'm using Windows easy transfer to put all files back and after I re-install my programmes I'll be as a good as new.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

windows key logo + x

device manager

right click on your display adatper

select uninstall and also tick if asked to uninstall software too

reboot

try to install Intel drivers you downloaded

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • M_Lawson

Unfortunately that was exactly what I did, reboot and all. Didn't work though. Any other suggestions? 

• IronFly

Manual drivers installation?

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-022355.htm

installed OS?

• M_Lawson

That error message was what got with the installer prior to fresh reinstall, the manual instalation get's past that point and tries to intall the driver but then fails half way through. The installed OS is Windows 8.

• IronFly

so it still gives you an error about installed OEM drivers?

• M_Lawson

Nope, it simply says "Failed to install driver, canceling installation.". The First time I did this it tried to install an audio driver when it failed. So I uninstalled that Driver and the next attempt allowed the installer to move to the HD Graphics 4000 Driver but then it also fails in the same way that it did before. However there's no driver to uninstall. Perhaps there's still some trace of it in the system after uninstall and reboot.

• IronFly

audio driver can be HDMI Intel, check under Sound in device manager and uninstall this too.

have you tried also to uninstall VGA and without rebooting, install Intel drivers?

are you sure that you downloaded the correct driver?

sorry for the dumb questions but need to narrow things. Smiley Very Happy

• M_Lawson

Uninstalled everything you told me, after uninstalling the VGA it gave me a new error "You do not meet the minimum requirements to install this software." It didn't even let me try to install it this time. I checked the driver and it's the right one, version number 15.33.36.64.4226 supports Intel(R) HD graphics on: 3rd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) Processor family. Windows 7 64bit, windows 8 64bit, windows 8.1 64bit.

• IronFly

check about the correct driver with this Intel utility:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24345/Intel-Driver-Update-Utility

• M_Lawson

I checked using the utility, it told me that I needed to install two versions of it. One of the versions was about 5 months old and the other was the recent one that I was trying. It said it completed and a retsart was needed but when I restarted they were not installed. I tried this process manually using the first recommended driver and got the same result as before. Also it may be worth mentioning, I was also prompted to download a driver for my wireless adaptor and the same thing happened. It said it downloaded through the utility and restarted but was not installed. Using the utility again tells me that I need to download and install the drivers in the same way that it did the first time.

The drivers recommended to download was

64bit version 15.33.35.64.4176(10.18.10.4176)

64bit version 15.33.36.64.4226(10.18.10.4226)

The wireless driver was Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers (Windows*8, 64 Bit)

I think my system may have an issue when istalling all drivers :/

• IronFly

if you have any antivirus installed, disable it during drivers installation.

• M_Lawson

Already did sadly, I double checked and tried it agin. Same result.

• IronFly

probably there's something going wrong during installation but it's hard to find what.

i read that other users installed intel 10.xxx version without issues on the same model.

• M_Lawson

Well after some looking around the error message of "You do not meet the minimum requirementsfor this software" should only be displayed when a 32bit system is trying to install a 64bit driver. Although my system is 64bit and even the Intel utility agrees. So I really don't have a clue what's going on here at all. I was just convienced that it needed to be supplied by Acer, but looks like there's something seriously wrong with my system.

• IronFly

if you wouldn't mind, a system reset can be a good test to check if it's  a software issue on the OS.

• M_Lawson

Well I'm backing up as much stuff as I can now. I'll let you know how it goes but It'll probably take some time to prepare for it.

• M_Lawson
    Answer ✓

I've finally found the solution, you were right to suggest a system reset but that only highlighted the real issue. It was a combination of issues, corrupt hive files, corrupt windows installer files and programme interference. I recommend to anyone that tries this fix to create a Windows easy transfer file and back up registry and licence keys.

First I tried to do a system refresh and then install the driver, even though I updated first it failed and blue screened after the driver installation as it didn't have the Direct X update needed. Which implied that the updates didn't actually save. I opened a restore point to save the system and it perma blue screened then after. The system repair tool wouldn't actually grant me access to the restore point to try again. To get around this I opened Disk part via the command prompt in the advanced bootup repair tool and then forced permissions. To do this I first typed "Diskpart", then "list volume", then select the D drive and C drive by the their volume number. For myself D drive was 0 and C drive 1, then remove their letters and reassign them again so that the main drive is the C drive (even if this doesn't change the volume letters by the end of it, it will still grant you the permissions you need). This is done like so "select volume 0", "remove letter=d", "select volume 1", "remove letter=c", "select volume 1", "assign letter=c", "select volume 0", "assign letter=d". Then type "exit" and "rstrui.exe". Run the restore point from here and you should be able to continue the restore point.

With myself however, the restore point was so badly corrupted it couldn't load up, worse still I wasn't able to do another refresh or reset. I discovered that this was due to corrupted hive files, I renamed them to fix this issue through the command prompt like so, "C:", "cd %windir%\system32\config", "ren system system.001", "ren software software.001", "exit". This then allowed me to perform a system reset.

The first thing I tried to do was to update the system, and again it failed, it constantly needed restarting and wouldn't install anything . After performing a clean boot I realised that this was programme interference by McAfee and after it failed to allow itself to be disabled I uninstalled it completely(I could have updated to see if it would resolve the issue, but at this point I was losing patience). Updates procceded until the end of the first batch. After this the updater was stuck in a loop of always trying to find updates but never finishing. This was due to corrupted windows installer files, to fix this I restarted the machine to make sure the updater was closed and I opened command prompt as admin so I could rename them and force the system to make new files by typing the following. "net stop wuauserv", "net stop cryptsvc", "net stop bits". Then type "ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old", "ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old". Then type "net start wuauserv", "net start cryptsvc", "net start bits" to reactivate the updater and then restart the computer. The updater then worked fine until it hit Windows security update KB2756872, to resolve this I used a manual installer.

Available at Update for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems (KB2756872) - Microsoft then select Windows8-RT-KB2756872-x64.msu (162.8 MB).

After this all updates completed fine, I created my restore points (and a backup restore point just in case) and continued to install the driver manually. It worked first time after fixing the issues. I'm using Windows easy transfer to put all files back and after I re-install my programmes I'll be as a good as new.