Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575-33BM battery problems on two brand new laptops

Options
charliecharlie
charliecharlie Member Posts: 1 New User
edited July 2023 in 2018 Archives

Bought this on amazon - what a fab laptop.  However, before I installed any of my own stuff, gave it a test run - the battery life was all over the place.  Immediately when disconnecting from power (fully charged), it went to 7 hours, then a few seconds later 15 hours, then 4, then 12, then 32, then 9, then 12, then 7 etc.... every few minutes it was a radically different number.  I wasn't doing anything except surfing the net.  I talked to amazon support, they said yes, battery problems - replaced it without hesitation.  On the second laptop, EXACTLY the same issues - immediately I disconnect from power, on a full charge, it's 8 hours.  Then a couple of minutes later it's 15, then 3, then 16, then 10 etc.... I initiated the return through amazon, sadly (because the laptop is a beauty and I already ordered the 4 gb extra RAM) - then contacted ACER technical support through online chat.  I was told it's a glitch and there MIGHT be a software update in the future.  When I queried that, I got a variety of entertaining answers, like I should do a factory reset (which I did on the first laptop - no difference) - then he told me it's Microsoft's fault, that I need to report it to them and THEY can release a fix -then he said it's not only Acer but other brands too - then when I kept querying his responses, he said finally the only way to tell what the problem is is to return the laptop to Acer for evaluation.  I said I already returned the first one, so surely they know there's a problem.  He had no comment - didn't really seem to have any idea what's going on - had to keep "leaving the conversation to research it"..... oh well.  Maybe it's NOT battery life, but the sensor or whatever it is that gives you the indication of battery life.  Laptop battery life seemed to last quite a while even when the battery indicator was going from 10 to 3 to 21 to 17 to 5 to 9 etc.... but it's disconcerting to see that you have 4 hours left when you should have close to 12 hours!   so I can't figure out what the issue is - and Acer doesn't know either.  On both brand new laptops.... - without any additional programs added, only firefox, same issue.  Anyone have ideas?  Am returning the second one very sadly.  SHould I try a third?   Thanks

Answers