Acer Aspire E 11 ES1-111M-P2YU Transfer Win 8.1 from HDD to SDD

Options
troglobyte
troglobyte Member Posts: 3 New User

I have just ordered my E11 ES1-111M-P2YU with the 250GB HDD and ordered a 250GB SDD to speed everything up and reduce the power consumption. How do I move Windows 8.1 from the HDD to the SDD? *Please* do not sugguest upgrading to W10 - I would rather carve my eyes from my skull with a rusty spoon and be eaten by bears while bees cover me stinging me for 48 hours straight.

I hope to be able to create a recover disk/USB and then reinstall Win 8.1 and have it successfully recognize my Windows installation without giving my some garbage about piracy...

Thanks!

Best Answer

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

That's all you have to do.

1. Create a factory default USB recovery drive

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26287/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDM5ODcwMDAwL3NpZC9GbzdkSmJ1bQ%3D%3D

2. remove existing HDD

3. Install SSD and reassemble

4. Insert USB drive

5. turn on computer

6.  Reset your PC.  The recovery drive will automatically format and partition your new SSD.  When the dialogue asks you if you want to re-partition the drive, say "yes"

There's probably some normal safety precautions somewhere on youtube.  Obviously you'd probably want to remove the power cord and battery before you dive in with the disassembly.

And when you're using your recovery drive, it would probably be best to have the power cord plugged in....in case the battery died.

There's no need to enter a Windows key.  Everything is automatic including windows key retrieval from BIOS/board.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• JordanB
    Answer ✓
    Options

That's all you have to do.

1. Create a factory default USB recovery drive

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26287/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDM5ODcwMDAwL3NpZC9GbzdkSmJ1bQ%3D%3D

2. remove existing HDD

3. Install SSD and reassemble

4. Insert USB drive

5. turn on computer

6.  Reset your PC.  The recovery drive will automatically format and partition your new SSD.  When the dialogue asks you if you want to re-partition the drive, say "yes"

There's probably some normal safety precautions somewhere on youtube.  Obviously you'd probably want to remove the power cord and battery before you dive in with the disassembly.

And when you're using your recovery drive, it would probably be best to have the power cord plugged in....in case the battery died.

There's no need to enter a Windows key.  Everything is automatic including windows key retrieval from BIOS/board.

• troglobyte
    Options

@JordanB Awesome, ty. I will post my adventure here for others when the laptop arrives. And if I sound negative on Microsoft...well my experience since MS DOS 2.0 on a green screen display has taught me to be.

Troglobyte

• troglobyte
    Options

Essentially it went as JordanB details. I would add that it took about 3.5 hours to partition and do the factory reset on my Samsung EVO 250GB SSD for reasons that baffle my brain. I have used several SSD's before and performed resets which took about 6-12 minutes to perform, so I am not sure what the holdup was. Perhaps my laptop was due for a BIOS upgrade which would have provided better SSD support... I should add the Recovery USB was a USB 3.0 flash drive plugged directly into the blue USB 3.0 interface on the back of the laptop.

New Performance

• It takes maybe 20 seconds to boot, 95% of that is the BIOS screen and the spinning pacifier. From there you count Mississippi's to 3 and you are signing in.
    • Conversely shutdown is maybe 5 seconds.
    • From login to the system being truly ready and responsive is *much* faster (~6 seconds), some of which I attribute to the SSD, the 8GB RAM and the rest to removing McAffee for another anti-virus (I'm deeply biased on this subject because I work in the online cyber security business).
    • The system overall feels 10x snappier in all responses and multi-tasking Skype video while playing a 1080p video on an external monitor does not seem to cause any lags at all.

Count me a happy camper!

Thanks JordanB!

Troglobyte

• JordanB
    Options

You're welcome.  I probably should have specified that when you clicked on "reset my PC", you should just do the easy one (just remove my files) and not the "fully clean my drive".  I'm guessing that was the slowness.