2 high definition audio devices, 1 not recognized by windows10

smitty123
smitty123 Member Posts: 35 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

W10 driver issues galore !

Hello all,

with new OS comes new problems right ?

well it's the same old song and dance, new os, no one's ready, same old "driver could not be found" problems. 

First it's the brightness slider issue (monitor driver).

then it's the intel engine management v11 driver that won't let the computer turn off. it exits windows but the fans and lights stay on.

Now it's 2 high definition audio devices, 1 not recognized by windows10.

The error in device manager is code 10: device could not start.

it is the same driver and version as the other audio device below it. 

if i delete it, it comes back at next boot or if i scan for new hardware.

if i try to update it via the update button, windows update has nothing.

if i disable it in device manager, i still have sound from the speakers. so there's that.

This laptop needs new drivers certified by Acer. the old drivers from last year are just too buggy.

notrecogaudiodevice.pngAnother

oyvé!

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

SInce you are having a lot of issues, are you thought about a windows reset, using hardware manufacters drivers?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • smitty123

Hey again IronFly,

yeah i guess w10 isn't 100% compatible with everything yet, won't be for years.

i did reset windows a couple times. i 1st installed W10 on Feb 28th (usb flashdrive of course),

i made the bootable usb flashdrive with the windows media creation tool in 64bits on a win8.1 64bits.

Then this weekend i reset it from the restore app. wiping everything, of course. 

They're just old drivers in windows update that either weren't fully tested by Acer or windows has changed too much for them to still be working. it's common among the big ones, they can't test everything.

So we're left with telling them they missed a spot, which is fine but i would just prefer if Acer did something about it, like official new drivers, it's been 8 months since they put these old ones out for download.

Things have changed a lot since last year. yeah hey now we have color in our title bars now, yipee.

if they came out with new drivers every 6 months that would be acceptable me thinks.

i've just been over to intel to download the engine management, but guess what ?

No downloads, what a lousy time to switch names, again! sigh. it's been intel RST then MEI and some other i forget before irst, what is it now ? i mean geez just pick a name already yunno? lol i'm gonna find the v9.5 ones i remember these worked for all my machines before v11 came out.

**edit start : well i found this: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/fr/download/23277/Intel-ME-pilote-du-moteur-de-g-rabilit- 

and i've just installed MEI_Win8.1_5.0M_9.5.15.1730_PV.zip , gotta reboot now i hope this work !

**edit end

Anyway, i'm ok with waiting to see if other ppl have this double audio device problem. But the shutdown and brightness issues really need attention from Acer.

A lot of ppl rely on the manufacturer to actually test and put out these drivers. sending anyone over to intel they might come back with something that isn't at all for their machine.

Do you have enough clout to let them know we need updates ?

Cheers Ironbuddy !

• smitty123

ok to fix the shutdown problem i had to install this intel engine management Version: 9.5.15.1730 5M for windows 8.1 x64

you can find it here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23277/Intel-ME-pilote-du-moteur-de-g-rabilit-

i'll post this in my other thread.