TessaMary
TessaMary Member Posts: 68 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

can't boot from usb, put all usb options on top in the bios, still takes W10 os

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Yes, your system detects that there is a windows on the main drive and it boots from there because secure boot is enabled. If you can disable secure boot from your BIOS then you will be able to boot from the USB, otherwise in order to boot from the USB you will have to disconnect the main drive or wipe out the OS. I don't know any other way to make it work.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Yes, your system detects that there is a windows on the main drive and it boots from there because secure boot is enabled. If you can disable secure boot from your BIOS then you will be able to boot from the USB, otherwise in order to boot from the USB you will have to disconnect the main drive or wipe out the OS. I don't know any other way to make it work.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

not true, if the OS in the USB flash drive is a 64bit version, UEFI compatible and with the correct partition scheme and format, it must boot.

1) which kind of bootable OS are you trying to boot?

2) please enable F12 boot menu on BIOS: press F2 key at boot to enter BIOS, under Boot tab, enable F12 key then press F10 to save and exit; at the next boot with the USB flash drive connected (use USB2.0 only if your laptop has both 2.0 and 3.0 USB ports) press F12 to bring up the Boot menu

3) the USB flash drive must have a GPT partition scheme and FAT32 formatted to be able to be recognised under Boot menu (normally labeled as Brand and memory size)

with the proper OS iso file, you can use Rufus to create the correct USB flash drive media:

download Rufus:
    http://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US
    plug your USB flash drive, run Rufus then:
    select ISO image from the dropdown menu near "Create a bootable disk"
    click on the little icon on the right and browse to the OS downloaded iso file
    as Partitions scheme select "GPT partition scheme for UEFI"
    as File system select "FAT32"
    click on Start
    wait until it finish, then uplug your USB flash drive

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • TessaMary

2) please enable F12 boot menu on BIOS: press F2 key at boot to enter BIOS, under Boot tab, enable F12 key

I find no way to enable f12 key, how do you think this works?

• IronFly

F12 key at boot will work because you can force the laptop to boot from the choosen bootable device (if compatible with UEFI)

on your BIOS is under MAIN tab, not BOOT (Acer changes everytime the tab)...F12 BOOT MENU - enable

• TessaMary

Found the F12 BOOT MENU - enable.

bloody annoying both sticks don't start: 1 W10 nore 2 Rufus dualboot W10 + Lubuntu

But they do start when i use the suggestion made by ven98.

Still i like to go for the more elegant suggestion made by IronFly.

So how can i check if both usb sticks have GPT partition?

Bios only shows usb fdd or usb hdd, which does use  usb flash?

Is WBM needed to be above the FDD crucial?

• IronFly

to check if the USB flash drive has GPT partition, plug it to a PC,

press windows logo key,

type

command

diskpart

list disk

check if under GPT column there's an asterisk, if so, it's GPT

then type

list volume

and check if the USB flash drive is FAT32 formatted.

USB flash drives use none of the 2 mentioned but they will be listed as Brand/size of them

with the F12 key enabled the BIOS boot menu doesn't matter anymore, so WBM can be in any place on the list.

you mentioned a Rufus dual boot USB flash drive...no, must be only one OS on the flash drive.

and Lubuntu must be x64 version:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/17.04/release/lubuntu-17.04-desktop-amd64.iso

• TessaMary

Thanks for the info IronFly, too bad both flash drives aren't gpt. So for now most simple way is to use the 1st reaction which works!

• IronFly

you can redo the installation media, following my previous instructions.

• jm19495
    jm19495 Member Posts: 5 New User

IronFly helped me a few months ago, giving me tips when I had trouble re-upgrading my Aspire E11 from reinstalled Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.  Kudos. 

I've used this Aspire primarily to try out and use different Linux distros that I've installed on USB drives.  Sometimes a flash drive has not booted into Linux, but just booted into Windows, and I didn't know why.  For example, last week I installed Ubuntu MATE with persistence on a flash drive, using mkusb, and it booted just fine;  but an attempted full installation of MATE did not boot up.  The two sticks were the same brand and model -- SanDisk USB3.0, 16GB. 

After reading your point about the GPT partition, I tested both drives with diskpart.  The drive that booted shows the asterisk in the GPT column, the drive that didn't boot did not show the asterisk.  Another kudo. 

But is there a fly in the kudo ointment?  Is the presence or absence of GPT formating the whole answer to the problem? Or is there a problem specifically with the Acer Aspire, with firmware or BIOS?  Both drives -- the one with GPT and the one without -- boot into MATE on my other two notebooks, a Dell 6220 and an HP 2570P.  On those two boxes the absence of the GPT partition seems not to matter. 

There's another problem.  I don't know what I did or what caused it, but starting two nights ago, the Aspire no longer boots from USB.  I attempted to reconfigure the BIOS, but my changes did not take, even though I pressed F10 save & exit. 

My BIOS version & date:  Insyde Corp. V1.10, 8/20/2014.  Might an updated BIOS help with this, restore the ability to boot from USB? 

There's one exception I've found to my Aspire no longer booting from the usb:  KNOPPIX 8.1.0, on a drive made by copying the .iso directly to the flash drive with dd:

dd if=KNOPPIX_V8.1-2017-09-05-EN.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M