Slower startup after BIOS upgrade (VN7-791G-792A)

Options
doko
doko Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I regretfully installed the latest BIOS\Firmware upgrade (1.14) for my Windows 8.1 system ("maybe there's some new improvement?"), as seen on this page in the BIOS\Firmware category:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/5615?b=1

The upgrade went fine and the machine is working, but now the boot process is much slower, as if it happens in two new steps: the Acer screen appears, the screen goes black, then another Acer screen appears with the spinning symbol and it stays there for some seconds, then black screen, then finally Windows 8.1.

I like to turn off the keyboard lights (Fn + F9) right after power-up, but now the keyboard lights turn back on when the black screen appears! I think this is crazy, like something is being reset?

I tried downgrading to the lowest version available from the downloads, 1.10, but the slow startup still remains.

I want to undo whatever it is that these new BIOSes do, and I unfortunately forgot to see what BIOS version that came with my Aspire V Nitro VN7-791G-792A. I would like to revert to my factory firmware. --- edit: Getting the startup to be fast as it was is actually what I'm after, I don't care what firmware version it is.

Best Answer

• doko
    Answer ✓
    Options

I'd like to report that after all this time the BIOS \ UEFI startup screen suddenly got back to normal, and it has been persistent for the past days.

This happened without any interference from my side.

I didn't flash the BIOS again or done anything. The slower hangup at the Acer screen doesn't happen anymore, it seems to have gotten back to what it used to be. It's clearly noticeable, and I hope it stays that way.

I'm not going to update the BIOS for this or any other system in the future.

Answers

• dougc
    dougc Member Posts: 82 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

It maybe just the default view (?)  but the link....,  "as seen on this page in the BIOS\Firmware category"  you shared,  implies a listing of  Win'10 64bit items !!   

Presuming it is a default view and you did change .... subsequently DL'd the appropriate Bios listed within the Win'8 section (shucks maybe one BIOS is multi-OS applicable) ;

Have you also gone into the BIOS   (and at that time you can note which BIOS you actually do have running ?  was your 1.10 rollback attempt successful ?)  and chkd the Boot sequence ?

_If you have a ODD  have it set for #1 (just in case you need to use your recovery disk in the future)

_ Then for #2,  the storage media that contains your OS    (either SSD or HDD ?)

And of course,  save on exit !

We always seem to have to cross our fingers, and pray to the computer geek 'gods' when upgrading a Bios   IMHO

good luck !

nite,

D'

• doko
    Options

Hi dougc,

I had installed those upgrades from the Win 8.1 x64 downloads, so there's no room for error there.

The process was this:

I had my factory firmware -> upgraded to the latest (1.14), no problems in the process -> noticed the slow boot sequence after the fact -> did a downgrade to the lowest in the downloads (1.10), no problems in the process -> still the same slow sequence. -> upgraded again to the latest (1.14), to be safe. I'm at this point now.

- I don't know what factory firmware that came with my Aspire V Nitro VN7-791G-792A, I should've looked into it before.

The flash utility that performs the upgrade is supposed to SHOW and CONFIRM what version you have before it does the upgrade, but the utility available from Acer just straights up restarts and flashes your computer, without even informing you of anything important (like "close all software before this step, disconnect all USB peripherals etc."), it's disappointing to say the least.

- I think the hidden firmware option "Fast Boot" can help, it should be in a hidden "Advanced" page in the firmware menu. I would like to try it at least, since it doesn't do any harm, just skips the POST.

Does anyone know how to find the Fast Boot option with laptop VN7-791G-792A?

• doko
    Answer ✓
    Options

I'd like to report that after all this time the BIOS \ UEFI startup screen suddenly got back to normal, and it has been persistent for the past days.

This happened without any interference from my side.

I didn't flash the BIOS again or done anything. The slower hangup at the Acer screen doesn't happen anymore, it seems to have gotten back to what it used to be. It's clearly noticeable, and I hope it stays that way.

I'm not going to update the BIOS for this or any other system in the future.